Fun With Cocobolo!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I actually got a chance to do some turning today! First up is a Streamlined Slimline from Berea done in Cocobolo I got from Bill Jacobs. This is another pen I did while testing those small tools from Ashley Iles. Those deep coves are the result of the small round-nose scraper.

20052132231_cpen1.jpg

Here's a little closer view of it:

200521322349_cpen2.jpg

This next item is not a pen, but it's small and round so I thought I'd show it. My Wife was doing some crocheting today, and was mentioning that her hand was tired and cramping from holding the small crochet hook. When she took a break I borrowed her hook and headed for the shop.

200521322627_hook1.jpg

I measured the shaft of the hook and used a drill bit one size bigger to drill the hole. Then I turned it between centers. This is another beautiful piece of Cocobolo from Bill.

200521322827_hook2.jpg

I admit I have less than the best of luck applying finishes to Cocobolo. But I think I have found one I really like - Nothing! Well, almost nothing. I sand it to 600 grit then go through all three buffing wheels with the Beall. So this has a layer of carnuba wax on it. We'll see how it does in the long run.

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Very nice, Scott! The Cocobolo is beautiful, and the design has the look of someone who has slowed down and started to enjoy life. [;)]

Gary

Very nice...wood, turning, finish, everything!

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Very nice shape Scott! Beautiful job. And the hook handle looks good too, I am sure your wife will appreciate it.

wayneis

Wow, Wow, OH WOW. Scott very nice work, nice wood, no one has cocobolo like the King of Cocobolo, Bill Jacobs. Ok now down to business, wher did you get those tools again. I kinda remember you telling us once but I suffer from brain death occationally so I don't remember. Oh no, speaking of remembering, I forgot that I need to proof read that article for you Scott. Sorry, but I do like your pen and hook. I ordered so more cocobolo from the King of Cocobolo and now I can't wait to get it.

Wayne

Tom McMillan

That pen is "AWESOME" Scott---looks like the tools worked great---but, obviously your ingenuity far surpasses the tools!!! Also the crochet hook holder is very nice---Good work all the way around!!

melogic

Beautiful work Scott. I think the only finish I'm going to use on cocobola from now on is TSW. I really like the way cocobola turns. Every piece is so unique.

wayneis

Scott what I tryed and now do with most cocobolo blanks is a danish oil finish. I put it on and let it set and soak in for what ever it says on the can, and then finish it off with sanding in more danish oil using micro mesh. Works really nice, it ends up looking just like a hand rubed finish.

Wayne

opfoto

Nice Job. Great looking pen. I am betting that the crochet hook holder scored big points. I personally think one can not have too many of them (points)!!!

Scott

Thanks for all the nice comments everybody! We were working on our taxes this afternoon, and that pen writes pretty well, too!

The tools are by Ashley Iles, and are sold in the US by Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/). I do have a review of these tools coming out in the next issue of More Woodturning (http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm). What I tested were the three piece set of small tools for miniatures or penturning, plus the 3/16" round nosed scraper. Nice tools!

I had left the TSW in the house, and was too lazy to walk in and get it! ;-)

Scott.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Way to set the bar high for the rest of us, Scott. I also need to order that tool set. My son likes to "get fancy" with his work and is on my back to do the same. When I buy the tools, can I borrow a cup of talent from you to get me started?

Gary

Scott, I too have struggled with finishing cocobolo. Let us know how that "no-finish technique" works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom