Frustrations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Just posting here to vent. Hit max frustration levels last night as I blew out a blank I was a couple turns away from finishing, cracked a blank I had completed with a nice finish when trying to assemble, and turned a blank to find capillaries, really don't like the look, and will prob scrap.

Can't win em all. Only my second blow out so I'll chalk it up to me being overdue.

pictures included in case you want to join me in my sorrows

Attachments

• 88CF7300-C58C-4A4D-B333-328C7EDC50A7.jpeg
    88CF7300-C58C-4A4D-B333-328C7EDC50A7.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 177
  • E7E7AD2F-6179-489D-A59B-E632454EF45A.jpeg
    E7E7AD2F-6179-489D-A59B-E632454EF45A.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 170
  • EE80A38E-1775-43E4-B683-607672C0F0E9.jpeg
    EE80A38E-1775-43E4-B683-607672C0F0E9.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

You could approach it from the programmer's POV: "That's not a bug, it's a feature!"

I can't tell you how many times something has exploded just as I'm getting satisfied with the results.

KenB259

I use epoxy. I tried CA when I first started but found it didn't give me enough time to get things where I wanted them.

Jmaxcy

I use epoxy. I tried CA when I first started but found it didn't give me enough time to get things where I wanted them.
How long does epoxy take? I totally agree, I've had several instances where I go to put the barrel in and don't have it exactly where I want it but it's too late Bc it's dried already. It's incredible how quick it sets.

KenB259

Most people will tell you epoxy needs to sit overnight, but I've turned pens lots of time where the 5 minute epoxy was used an hour before. It does take 24 hours to fully cure, but you really don't need to let it sit that long.

penicillin

Sorry to see your turning failure. All of us know and share your pain.

Have you considered changing from CA glue to something else? CA can be brittle and lead to more failures. For my own pens, I use mostly polyurethane (original Gorilla Glue) or epoxy. I always let them cure overnight or longer.

What wood is it? The 2nd photo makes it look like marblewood or canarywood. Those woods can be challenging to turn. I have had similar failures with them just because of the way that the wood fails when turning it.

Jmaxcy

Sorry to see your turning failure. All of us know and share your pain.

Have you considered changing from CA glue to something else? CA can be brittle and lead to more failures. For my own pens, I use mostly polyurethane (original Gorilla Glue) or epoxy. I always let them cure overnight or longer.

What wood is it? The 2nd photo makes it look like marblewood or canarywood. Those woods can be challenging to turn. I have had similar failures with them just because of the way that the wood fails when turning it.
It was marble wood. It was pretty challenging to turn, even more challenging to drill to be honest.

qquake

How long does epoxy take? I totally agree, I've had several instances where I go to put the barrel in and don't have it exactly where I want it but it's too late Bc it's dried already. It's incredible how quick it sets.
I feel your pain, brother. I usually wait an hour with 5 minute epoxy, but I've started turning a pen within 15 minutes or so. No problems.

penicillin

You are not alone with marblewood failures. I went back to my database and found various marblewood failures, too. They were some of my earliest pen making attempts:

Pen #2:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Gold - Insert Glue: CA Medium with Activator - Notes: Wood blew out.
Pen #5:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Gold - Insert Glue: Polyurethane - Notes: Wood blew out.
Pen #6:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Pro Gel Click Gold 24k - Insert Glue: Polyurethane - Notes: Forgot clip during assembly. Pen damaged by bad repair.
Pen #38:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Pro Gel Click Gold 24k - Insert Glue: Polyurethane. - Notes: (blank)

... and no, I don't keep photos of everything. I lucked out. I searched for "marblewood" and happened to find the record for #2 amongst other photos about my pen making process. Pen #38 happened to be nearby. After 3 failed attempts at marblewood, I kept that pen.

Photos: (1) Pen Making Record for Pen #2, above. (2) Pen #38 from marblewood.

Pen Record Marblewood.JPG

Marblewood Pen.JPG

leehljp

Member Liaison
I noticed that too. I used thick CA and made sure to twist it around when I put it in. That's what I do for all my blanks and haven't had this issue so I don't know what happened here.
Twisting, pushing straight in, it does not really matter, thick pulls in air and bubbles that form weak spots. Thin doesn't, but then thin does not fill in gaps. It is a dang if I do, dang if I don't.

It is a technique problem and I personally got tired of taking chances. I don't make a lot of pens, and most are simply one of a kind. I don't trust taking chances with glues and air bubbles on one of a kind blanks. The ONLY glue that will 99.99% avoid "void" spots is expanding polyurethane glues. Gorilla is the most common, but Gorilla makes other kinds of glues also, so don't confuse the other kinds with expanding polyurethane glues. Gorilla Clear is NOT expanding Poly glue.

There are Other Problems that can lead to this:
1. If your tool of choice is not sharp enough, the extra pressure in turning can lead to fractures;
2. If your feed rate is just a tad too much, the same thing can happen.
3. Combined with a glue void spot, either of 1 or 2 above, or both - with the void spot, can cause the blowout.

Last edited:

Jmaxcy

You are not alone with marblewood failures. I went back to my database and found various marblewood failures, too. They were some of my earliest pen making attempts:

Pen #2:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Gold - Insert Glue: CA Medium with Activator - Notes: Wood blew out.
Pen #5:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Gold - Insert Glue: Polyurethane - Notes: Wood blew out.
Pen #6:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Pro Gel Click Gold 24k - Insert Glue: Polyurethane - Notes: Forgot clip during assembly. Pen damaged by bad repair.
Pen #38:
Wood: Marblewood - Kit: Slimline Pro Gel Click Gold 24k - Insert Glue: Polyurethane. - Notes: (blank)

... and no, I don't keep photos of everything. I lucked out. I searched for "marblewood" and happened to find the record for #2 amongst other photos about my pen making process. Pen #38 happened to be nearby. After 3 failed attempts at marblewood, I kept that pen.

Photos: (1) Pen Making Record for Pen #2, above. (2) Pen #38 from marblewood.

View attachment 304280

View attachment 304281
That pen looks great. I wasn't sure I'd even like the finished product but now I'm inspired. Luckily I bought a decent sized board of marble wood so have plenty of blanks left to cut if I want.

Jmaxcy

Twisting, pushing straight in, it does not really matter, thick pulls in air and bubbles that form weak spots. Thin doesn't, but then thin does not fill in gaps. It is a dang if I do, dang if I don't.

It is a technique problem and I personally got tired of taking chances. I don't make a lot of pens, and most are simply one of a kind. I don't trust taking chances with glues and air bubbles on one of a kind blanks. The ONLY glue that will 99.99% avoid "void" spots is expanding polyurethane glues. Gorilla is the most common, but Gorilla makes other kinds of glues also, so don't confuse the other kinds with expanding polyurethane glues. Gorilla Clear is NOT expanding Poly glue.

There are Other Problems that can lead to this:
1. If your tool of choice is not sharp enough, the extra pressure in turning can lead to fractures;
2. If your feed rate is just a tad too much, the same thing can happen.
3. Combined with a glue void spot, either of 1 or 2 above, or both - with the void spot, can cause the blowout.
Thanks for the tips. Haven't had many problems with my current process but if it continues I'll have to explore switching it up

Top Bottom