FRP MEK question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What is the difference in FRP (polyseter) in which you add drops (fiberglass resin) versus MEK?

I would like to use MEK but not sure if I can find it here (still searching). I have FRP and those little bottles of drops that you mix with it.

The only ingredients on the can beside saying FRP is "polyester + su chi re mo no mar. This last word is their alphabetical equivalent for some foreign word. I can say that the last part is monomar as opposed to polymer.

I am wondering if this would be a good substitute for MEK as a wood stabilizer?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi Hank! I might be able to help a little bit.

Typically, fiberglass resin is the thick part (the actual polyester resin) that you add the 'drops', or catalyst to. The catalyst is MEKP, Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide.

Resin is pretty thick stuff, so you'd need a pressure or vacuum setup to force or suck the resin into the wood in order to stabilize it.

I've never used MEK to stabilize wood, so I'm no help there.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Karl. I am kind of slow in getting everything straight. Of course the Japanese way of labeling things don't help and neither do the dictionaries here.

Fred_erick in GA had suggested that I dissolve styrofoam in MEK for a good stabilizer for wood. But, if what I have as the FRP hardner is MEK, then it only comes in 10 cc bottles (about 2 tablespoons, about $5.00) at the local home centers. Too expensive to use as a stabilizer.

Trying to get everything straight. Thanks again.

Fred

Hank, the MEKP is NOT the same thing as MEK. The MEKP is the catalyst for the fiberglass resin. The MEKP IS NOT A THINNER. MEK in a gallon sized can from my local paint store is now up to around $26.00 for the gallon.

To get the thicker fiberglass to impregnate the wood would require some very sophisticated equipment as I doubt that you would want to even consider the VERY expensive procedures involved at all. My MEK and styrofoam solution will enter the wood way, way faster for you. AND it is far cheaper as well.

Go to a local paint dealership that sells to the automotive industry and see if they have the MEK in gallon cans.

Good luck with your endeavors and let us know what you find. ... Fred

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Fred.

Now I get it! And that helps me a lot. It is probably the auto stores that I have seen MEK!

The FRP catalyzer is not labeled at all as to contents, but sold as side item with the FRP.

Off to the auto store to check today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom