Another Harbor Freight pressure/vac pot clone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
Hot on the trail of all you guys, I'm slowly catching up. Here's what I've been quietly working on for the past couple of weeks.

I've been busy, quietly building up my shop and tools and such. Not had much time to post or turn pens, but I'm getting back in the swing soon, I guess!

I've got all that box elder wood from the tree that came down in the backyard, and one of the bigger burls about halfway up was riddled with worms, ants, spiders, you name it, so there's lots of trauma to the burl, which translates into lots of bright red flame color and figuration in a box elder tree.

But with all the holes, it'd take gallons of CA to stabilize it on the lathe one pen at a time. I have tons of this wood, most of it is way prettier than what's below, but for the first try, I figured I'd use up some of the plain jane stuff so I didn't lose anything good.

So, following Curtis Seebeck's 'Worthless Wood Blanks' (http://builtbydoc.com/WorthlessWoodBlanks.pdf), and stevers 'How to build the Harbor Freight Pressure/Vacuum Pot' tutorials, I've built one of the Harbor Freight pots, and am now figuring out the best way to use resin to stabilize, color and fill the voids and inclusions in this otherwise stunning wood.

I cast my first blanks last night, and couldn't wait to de-gas the pot this morning and see what happened. Unfortunately, I misjudged the amount of resin I would need to totally fill everything, so I need to mix up one more batch, but here's some pictures of what I have so far. All of this will go into a tutorial/chronical text later, but for now, here's a sneak peek for you:

Wormy/Burly Box Elder blanks
001.jpg

In the casting dish
002.jpg

After the first cast, here's the results
003.jpg

The bottom, which is what the top should look like in a little while.
004.jpg

So now I need to add one more layer to the top and pressure it down again. I used micro-milled mica pearl pigment in clear casting resin. I have some Alumilite coming with dyes and metal powders to play with, but for now I figured I'd work out the kinks with some of my old resin I've had sitting around.

I think these are going to turn out really well for a first pass. I just hope the resin got all the way inside the wormholes. I pressurized them to 55 pounds. They sure are heavy! Gah. I'm going to paint the insides of the blanks before epoxying in the tubes to hide the brass and show off the pearl. First though, I need to run them through the bandsaw!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Thanks, Steve! I just read your post earlier, looks like I'm following right in your footsteps! I think we could interchange our castings and not know the difference! I got the final cast done, worked like a charm, cut the blanks up on the bandsaw, but they're still on the sticky side, so I'm letting them cure for another day on the rack. I can't wait to turn one tomorrow!

I had a copy of your Pot tutorial printed out when I made two trips each to Harbor Freight and Home Depot. I can't tell you how many little baggies I destroyed screwing brass parts together through the plastic, but I finally got it! Holding pressure and vac good. I took pictures throughout my build process, and I'll eventually post what I went through to get to the end.

I, too, spent a fortune in brass. Gah! Here's my Frankenstein:

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

stevers

Hey Karl,
The outsides of mine are always sticky. I just trim the outer layer off and the rest is usually good. They say it's something about PR not curing in oxygen. But if you feel more comfortable waiting, then by all means, wait.
PVPot looks good. Nice and shiny still. That wont last long. Mine didn't. If you need any help let me know, I am still learning, but if I can help, I most certainly will.
Can't wait to see the results. See ya tomorrow?

Jim15

Karl, thanks for the info and pictures. They will come in handy when I get a chance to do my pressur pot. Also thank you Steve for your info, have that printed out already.

stevers

Wow Karl, It hardly looks real. Nice job. The voids are wild looking. I like the red too. Cant wait to see the next one.
I have a few to go into the pressure pot real soon. I may sell them, or at least a couple of them.

karlkuehn

Banned
Yeah, with the price of resin, I'm going to either have to learn how to cast with less waste or start selling some blanks, too!

I colored the brass tubes black and added more red pearl pigment to the epoxy I glued them in with. The resin I used has no dye in it, so it's pretty clear with only the mica dust for coloring. This was a lot of fun to turn.

The resin sure made it easy to turn, didn't blow any pieces off at all, so I was pretty happy. Just a couple of small voids to fill. There was a live grub in one of the wormholes. Er, at least he was alive when I cast him in there. It was sort of icky when he showed up on the lathe. heh

karlkuehn

Banned
Yeah, I used CA/BLO after I took it to 12000 MM, more out of habit than anything else, but there was a little bit of difference in shine between the wood parts and the resin. The CA/BLO brought it all to the same shine.

beck3906

What is the rectangular piece that is part of the "plumbing" on top of the pressure pot? It appears to be about 3x4 inches and has "vacuum" written on it.

Thanks
Rick

karlkuehn

Banned
Why, that's the magic "Make all my pens wonderful" box. I thought everyone was using those! See, you rub it when you're casting... [:p]

Wait, you mean you guys are just making pens the old fashioned way?!

It's the Venturi block from inside the $10 Harbor Freight vacuum 'pump'. They just put a sheet metal box around it, and print "Air-Vac" on it. See, like so:

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
Thanks Steve, after reading your tutorial, and your statement about not getting some of the pictures during construction of the monster, you gave me the heads up on taking lots of pictures. Now to sort them out in some kind of organized mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom