Friction Polish advise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tony0778

I've reviewed a lot of the post regarding finishes but would like to add one more. First I'm a newbie and have only used Huts Crystal Coat on the only three pens I've made. I'm considering switching over to Mylands sealer and friction polish. My concern is that I've seen multiple posts that say the friction polish method is not very durable. It also looks like many of you use CA finishes. Any comments or recommendations? [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hi Tony, friction polish puts a nice shine on your pen really fast. But it does not last long. Read the tutorials here on ca finish. MUCH more durable and longer lasting. For my customers who do not like the plastic look, I hand rub a generous amount of BLO (boiled linseed oil) into the wood to give it that deep, warm luster. Hope this helps.

tony0778

Gary,

When in the process to you hand rub in the BLO...I would assume you do this before the first application of CA.

Originally posted by CaptG

Hi Tony, friction polish puts a nice shine on your pen really fast. But it does not last long. Read the tutorials here on ca finish. MUCH more durable and longer lasting. For my customers who do not like the plastic look, I hand rub a generous amount of BLO (boiled linseed oil) into the wood to give it that deep, warm luster. Hope this helps.

R2

Tony, one particular friction polish stands and that is Ubeaut. I fnot handled immediately and ft for a few days to set and harden you wiill be suprised at how much better it will last.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by gerryr

You can also avoid the high gloss look of CA and still use CA by buffing it with 0000 steel wool.

What Gerry said.

Click here! for a post that deals with CA protection without the CA look. Both pens have approximately the same thickness coat of CA.

Another note on this for your benefit: I have been a little surprised at the number sellers here who say that customers are drawn to the "shine," and that is what sells. Personal preferences might be one thing but sales indicate another.

CaptG

Tony, NO ca, just blo for a soft lustre. I use ca for a hard shine. Apply the blo after final sanding on the lathe while the blank is still on the mandrel. Spindle off, rub on a generous amount with finger tips and after it soaks in for about 5 min. or so, turn on spindle at a low rpm and buff with soft cloth, holding cloth at each end and putting just enough pressure on blank to get it warm from the friction. Sorry for the confusion.[:I] Hope this helps.:D

Top Bottom