Foot switch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTurnerJohn

I'm trying to find a foot switch I can use with my DP and perhaps some other shop tools. I've seen this posting by Randy some months ago.

Posted - Mar 28 2006 : 05:57:41 AM US Eastern Time Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DocStram

Randy, Can you tell me a little more about your HF drill press? Like, the model number and how much you paid for it?
Thanks

Hi Al:

Here is are the details on the drill I purchased:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142

If you are patient and have a HF retail store close by, the DP can be had for about $150......list price minus 20% discounts regularly offered in the Internet. I got mine on an eBay auction and paid $160. It was almost new and came with a foot switch, stand and a very nice table extension with a fence and clamps. It was close to me so I picked it up and saved shipping which would have been significant since the unit is a HD model and weighs nearly as much as a floor model.

Do any of the rest of you use a foot switch? If so, where could I purchase one? Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

My opinion? I don't like them at all. I have a friend recovering right now that was changing the belt setting on his press and stepped on it and broke 3 fingers when they got sucked in. Too much chance for the little advantage to having one for most tools. If you go with one, seriously think about what the chance that it might get stepped on while you are in the danger sone.

txbob

I've used a Woodcraft #143158 for years, but just on my wood lathe, not on a drill press. I like it a lot. It makes a good hands-free emergency shut down switch, so I see it as a safety advantage, not a danger.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4030

txbob

cozee

I don't have a foot switch on my Dp here at home but there is one on the DP at work. 25 plus people have access to it and none have had any mishaps. I don't really see any advantage to it other than saving the second or so it takes to flip a switch.

When ever working on power tools, one should always make sure they are unplugged. The most simple and effective safety measure one can take.

jjenk02

Originally posted by cozee
<br />I don't have a foot switch on my Dp here at home but there is one on the DP at work. 25 plus people have access to it and none have had any mishaps. I don't really see any advantage to it other than saving the second or so it takes to flip a switch.

When ever working on power tools, one should always make sure they are unplugged. The most simple and effective safety measure one can take.

AMEN to unplugging before working on ANY power equipment!!!!

Yarael

Well for me the DP would be the only thing I would use it for. As the switch is Way in the very back and hard for me to get to. I usually end up using a scrap piece of wood to flip it on and off. Plus with how old this DP is I feel safer using the wood to turn it on and off. Never know when it might decide to have a short in it. And its completely solid cast iron. At least 40+ years old.

alamocdc

Exactly right, Greg! It doesn't matter if you're talking about a DP, TS or even a router, always unplug it when changing blades, bits, or speed settings. Safety should always be foremost on our minds when operating our power tools. Let's see, how many reports have we read in just the last year or so from many of our friends here on the IAP because of safety related mishaps? If it were only one, it would be too many![;)]

cozee

Originally posted by Yarael
<br />Well for me the DP would be the only thing I would use it for. As the switch is Way in the very back and hard for me to get to. I usually end up using a scrap piece of wood to flip it on and off. Plus with how old this DP is I feel safer using the wood to turn it on and off. Never know when it might decide to have a short in it. And its completely solid cast iron. At least 40+ years old.

Why not rewire the unit and locate the switch so that it is easier to access and upgrade the safety at the same time?

Yarael

cause the thing is so old not sure what all would happen to it if I did. Plus it is my stepdad's and use to be his dad's so he doesnt want anything to happen to it.

Randy_

The foot switch on my DP is simply a $2 metal toggle switch mounted to the stand and wired into the existing electrical system. If you have a little electrical knowledge, you can make up a plug-in switch of your own.....probably for less than $10. Everything you need can be had from the electrical dept of Home Depot except for the push button switch which can be found at any Radio Shack store.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br /><b>Exactly right, Greg! It doesn't matter if you're talking about a DP, TS or even a router, always unplug it when changing blades, bits, or speed settings.</b> Safety should always be foremost on our minds when operating our power tools. Let's see, how many reports have we read in just the last year or so from many of our friends here on the IAP because of safety related mishaps? If it were only one, it would be too many![;)]

I am not trying to start anyting here, but does anyone unplug their lathe when changing speeds as in the Jet Mini?(belts)
I know I don't.
I would never consider doing anything on a table saw, bandsaw, router etc. without unplugging it.
What is it about a lathe that seems so benign?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I'm trying to find a foot switch I can use with my DP and perhaps some other shop tools. I've seen this posting by Randy some months ago.

Originally posted by Yarael
<br />cause the thing is so old not sure what all would happen to it if I did. Plus it is my stepdad's and use to be his dad's so he doesnt want anything to happen to it.

I am a little confused by your original question.
If the DP is hard wired into the panel then you would need to change the wiring to accomodate the foot switch.
If it isn't hard wired, but just plugs into an outlet then it is easy enough to get make a box with a switch and an outlet.PLug that where the DP was plugged into and plug the DP into the box with the switch.
One way or another whether you use a foot switch or an external swith the DP would need to plug into a power source different than it is now.

Based on you reservations( wooden stick) I would reccomend a GFIC.

Randy_

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />.....does anyone unplug their lathe when changing speeds as in the Jet Mini?(belts)..........

I do!

There was a post not too long ago by someone who accidentally turned their JET on while shifting a belt. I don't recall that there was any serious damage done; but there could have been. It was the VS model and the switch is a little more exposed on that model; but there is a certain amount of risk regardless of which model one uses. Just depends how much risk you are willing to accept.

This might be an interesting question for a poll??

Gary Max

Tablesaws and Routers are the two that I always unplug before changing the blades or bits. I also try not to leave hand tools pluged in around the shop---I always trip over the cords.

chigdon

I have a foot switch, that I hardly ever use any more, that I mounted on top of the base of my mini lathe stand. It is easy to get to but nearly impossible to hit without trying (ie not on the ground).

PenTurnerJohn

Thanks for all your comments so far...they are very helpful.

The reason I began this thread about a foot switch on my DP is that I have my hands full when I'm operating it. My left hand is holding the vacuum hose while my right hand is turning the wheel. I like to have the bit down close to the wood before turning the DP on. This means I need an extra hand; therefore, I was thinking of the possibility of a foot switch.

bradh

I use a foot switch on my table saw and think it is great. It also has a power switch and both have to be on for the motor to start. I make a habit of turning off the power switch befor I put my hands near the blade in case I accidentally bump the foot pedal.
I got my switch at Busy Bee Tools in Canada. Seems like they carry most of the same stuff as your HF in the USA.
Brad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />Thanks for all your comments so far...they are very helpful.

The reason I began this thread about a foot switch on my DP is that I have my hands full when I'm operating it. My left hand is holding the vacuum hose while my right hand is turning the wheel. I like to have the bit down close to the wood before turning the DP on. This means I need an extra hand; therefore, I was thinking of the possibility of a foot switch.
Make a holder for the Vacuum hose.
It isn't necessary.

53Jim

I have a foot switch, but only use it on my scroll saw. I don't see any practicality in having a drill press, table saw, or even a lathe powered by such a switch. The way I see it, we are just getting lazy, and the ability to step on a switch instead of touching it with our fingers/hands is more appealing 'cuz it doesn't take as much energy.

Now before you sstart yelling at me, read the first sentence in my post. I'm guilty also.

its_virgil

I've tried foot switches on various tools and found them awkard. Concentrating on keeping my foot on the switch distracted from what I was doing at the tool. I now have my lathe and dust-collector plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch on the work surface next to the lathe. One switch and they both come on. Having a foot switch on tools such as router tables, band saws, and table saws seems to me to not be very safe. "Putting your foot dowm" could take on (or off) a new meaning. But, to each his own.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />I'm trying to find a foot switch I can use with my DP and perhaps some other shop tools. I've seen this posting by Randy some months ago.

Posted - Mar 28 2006 : 05:57:41 AM US Eastern Time Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DocStram

Randy, Can you tell me a little more about your HF drill press? Like, the model number and how much you paid for it?
Thanks

Hi Al:

Here is are the details on the drill I purchased:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142

If you are patient and have a HF retail store close by, the DP can be had for about $150......list price minus 20% discounts regularly offered in the Internet. I got mine on an eBay auction and paid $160. It was almost new and came with a foot switch, stand and a very nice table extension with a fence and clamps. It was close to me so I picked it up and saved shipping which would have been significant since the unit is a HD model and weighs nearly as much as a floor model.

Do any of the rest of you use a foot switch? If so, where could I purchase one? Thanks,

Randy_

Although I do have a foot switch(came with the drill), I rarely use it and think the general issue is one of those with "NO" right answer. I can envision situations and set-ups where it would be helpful. OTOH, for most people, it is probably not of much, if any, benefit; but obviously folks are buying then or you wouldn't see so many of them advertised in the catalogs. As much as anything, I think this is one of those "personal preference" issues.

PenTurnerJohn

Randy [and others],

Thanks for all your comments on the foot switch. At this point I agree with everyone that a foot switch is NOT the safe option for table saws, routers, lathes, and band saws. I think the jury is still out on the DP. Like you said Randy it is probably more of a personal choice. Since I've never had one I appreciate all the comments from those of you who do [and some who don't].

I'll probably order the "Billy switch" that Monty referred to and try it out for a while to determine if it a nuisance, safety issue, or actually a help.

Thanks everyone...you continue to be a huge resource for newbies like me. [:)]

woodwish

I guess from years of teaching wood shop I don't want to see anyone with their hands near anything that is controlled by the foot. Although I do have switchs on most of my tools that take a finger to turn "on" but I can also hit the "off" switch with my knee. That way I can turn on machines with my hands out of the way and then keep my hands on the work while I turn it off. Lots of switches out there that have a raised ridge around the "on" button to protect it and the "off" is exposed so it's easy to hit. Some after market one have an outlet built-in so all you would have to do is plug in the DP and mount the switch box somewhere that you can turn on and off from a convenient location.

Look at www.rockler.com and search for a router switch, they're on sale right now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom