Food dehydrator for drying wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

Looking to start making my own blanks. I am wondering if anyone has used a food dehydrator for drying wood prior to the stabilizing process?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Why didn't I think of this? Not sure how well it would work, but I dried some in a toaster oven that came out OK. Theoretically, I would guess this should work even better going low and slow to avoid splitting. When I was looking for ways to dry some Holly (and decided on the easy toaster oven method), I saw nothing about this that I can recall. Give it a shot and let the IAP community know how it works.

JackNapalm

I had limited success with a dehydrator. I didn't pursue it much further as it seemed to take much longer. A proper oven will give better results in a shorter time.

henry1164

I use one and it works great. Just keep track of the weight of your items. When the weight does not lower any more it's dry enough to turn!!! It does take some time - depending on where you start on moisture content - i.e. 24-36 hours has been typical.

Attachments

• IMG_4750.jpeg
    IMG_4750.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 124

JWinIndiana

That is an ingenious idea! Will have to remember it and have the wife pick up a dehydrator at a yard sale. Be a great way to dry corn cobs when the students bring them in to turn.

RGABEL

I got one a few years ago for drying filament for my 3D printer. Was thinking, why not for wood.

Also thought about using my electric smoker. Drys wood and gives it a nice smoky scent. šŸ¤£

Curly

To the best of my knowledge wood should have zero moisture content. A food dehydrator may not get quite that low but you could finish off the drying in a toaster oven. You'll need it to heat cure the juice anyway.

Top Bottom