Foam in a Can

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have an idea for storage where I would like to make my own foam inserts. I'm looking for some type of spray foam that I cold spray into a mold and it foam around the inside. I would like it to be a flexible foam once cured, but could consider something more ridgid.

I thought of the foam in a can at the borg that is used for insulation and such but this is hard foam.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
beck3906 said:
I have an idea for storage where I would like to make my own foam inserts. I'm looking for some type of spray foam that I cold spray into a mold and it foam around the inside. I would like it to be a flexible foam once cured, but could consider something more ridgid.

I thought of the foam in a can at the borg that is used for insulation and such but this is hard foam.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Alumilite has a number of different foam resin formulations

PTsideshow

The spray low foaming insulation works well, Common practice is:

Have the drawer/box container clean and ready.

Make up an insert for the above.

Place the items tools etc. in a layout you like.

Cover with a poly sheet plastic type drop cloth, tape at the edges, smoothing out major wrinkles.

Then with a piece of fabric of your choice, from Tee shirt material to faux velvet or stain type. Biggest thing is it should be soft and easily formed around the tools and plastic sheet.

Have an edge made up that goes around the insert, the height or depth of the drawer,again covered with poly sheet. Have another flat sheet(poly plastic sheet covered) to place on the top of the foam. So you have a flat bottom, and the foam doesn't stick to it. Weight it down with bricks, rocks or milk jugs filled with water.( 8.3 pound/gal)

If you are concerned about the solvents in the foam staining the fabric place another layer of poly on the fabric before putting the foam on then covering with the flat piece and weights.

Use the low expansion type canned foam as it will work to hold and form around the items. But will not cause a lot of over expansion. it also is semi soft not rigid hard like some of the other insulation foams.

As MM/Curtis said you can check out Alumilte foam products, or smooth on latex type make up appliance foam material my be soft enough.
Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More
Sorry the photo's have been lost in cyber space! I will try to answer any questions.
:clown:

beck3906

When you say spray, low foaming foam, are you talking about something from Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks to both for suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

PTsideshow

When you say spray, low foaming foam, are you talking about something from Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks to both for suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Window and Door Insulating Foam Sealant Model # 248312 Internet # 100068117 Store SKU # 522661
Great Stuff Window and Door Insulating Foam Sealant helps seal the gap between a window or door frame and its opening. Low pressure-build, flexible foam is proven not to bow window and door frames and remains flexible when cured.

Blue label can it is a low expansion expanding filler, it will expand but not push out at every crack. The red label is a high expanding gap filling foam, they also have a large gap filling.

the above is from Home despot's site
:clown:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Window and Door foam is low expansion, water-based window and door is a bit softer, I think.

If you're getting the Great Stuff, the black can is triple expansion, Red is normal, and Blue is low expansion Window foam....you'd want the window foam.

Wear gloves and goggles, and don't get any anywhere you don't want it...it's very sticky and irritating (to me, at least). It's all over a large number of my work clothes.

Top Bottom