Flat Top American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I guess now it's just called "Flat Top". I haven't made pens in some time and I dug these out and was confused for a bit as I see two different mandrel sizes, brass sizes etc.

Has anyone used this kit and what was your opinion?

I had total knee replacement in Feb. just before the Covid19 issue came along. Lucky to have gotten home health physical therapy in before everything was cancelled. I'm back in the shop at my mini lathe on a comfortable stool and enjoying every minute of it. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I have made that kit and many of them. If it is a Berea kit ( https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/flat-top-american-ballpoint-double-twist-chrome.html ) there should be only one size for the two brass tubes. If it is a pencil there will be 3 brass tubes. Instructions for both the ballpoint and the pencil can be found on the Berea Hardwoods web site.

If it is Berea kit then the Berea "B" mandrel will be specified. If your kit is from anther supplier then the mandrel specified should be the standard 7mm mandrel. PSI and CSUSA both had version of this kit and the only major difference is the mandrel choice. But, the manufacturers were different.

Are there any item numbers or identification markings on the packages?

That kit is a nice kit but has lost some of its popularity (in myh opinion). It has been around for a long long time and many new and nicer looking kits have been introduced.

The ballpoint does have one quirk. The mechanism is not activated with a friction fit like the slimline. The machanism is activated via a mechanical coupling of the mechanism end with the clip finial. So, before assembly make sure the mechanism will freely fall through the upper barrel tube...freely meaning no restrictions, Sometimes a burr on the ends from squaring will keep this from happening. If so, remove the burr. If the mechanism does not freely pass through the upper barrel tube then when assembled the tube will bind with the mechanism and make twisting to activate the mechanism quite difficult if not impossible.

Good luck with the kit. It will make a nice pen for you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

magpens

The Flat Top American is a Berea kit. . Check it out (for drills and variations at .... www.bereahardwoods.com .... )

It comes as a ballpoint, a rollerball, and a fountain pen.

I have made some of the rollerballs and liked them fine. . Much nicer than the Round Top, in my opinion.

Check the instructions .... some variations might require cutting a tenon in the blank ... can't remember for sure.

qquake

I turned many of them over the years. There have been several different kits, and there are differences. One of the biggest is that some kits require a tenon turned to a specific diameter. Others have the tenon turned to the brass tube. The width of the tenon can be different as well. Referring to the kit instructions is a must. I was fond of the kit style and still am. I think it makes a classy looking pen with simple, pleasing lines. It's a classic in my book.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 181

montmill

Thanks for the great information. I think I have an older kit and it requires a tenon. I'm glad I saved the directions from the original kit since the newer kits have different directions. It looks like I have bushings for it that fit an "A" mandrel and another set for the "B" manual. I may have some twist mixed in with a roller ball. I'll have to do some sorting and figuring out. Thanks again so much, very helpful.

I turned many of them over the years. There have been several different kits, and there are differences. One of the biggest is that some kits require a tenon turned to a specific diameter. Others have the tenon turned to the brass tube. The width of the tenon can be different as well. Referring to the kit instructions is a must. I was fond of the kit style and still am. I think it makes a classy looking pen with simple, pleasing lines. It's a classic in my book.

Jim, are your pens shown here the PSI Classic and Sculpted? They look very nice.

qquake

Jim, are your pens shown here the PSI Classic and Sculpted? They look very nice.

I believe the first one was from Woodcraft. It's actually what they called a "push" pen. It's a click, not a twist. You push the upper body down to click it. I don't think they make them anymore. The second one is indeed a Sculpted from PSI. One of the classier flat top kits, in my opinion. Good eye!

Top Bottom