Five fountain pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I had a go at abandoning my usual approach of only working on a single pen at a time and tried making five pens at once. To be honest it was a bit too much.

I have made multiple pens at a time before but on those occasions I'd get the pens to a certain initial state, basically barrel and cap drilled and threaded, and then take one of them and work on it to completion and then go back to the next.
However this time I did it as if it were a production line by repeating each individual step five times. Just to see how it went.

There are obvious benefits and economies to be had in doing that. For example once the first barrel is turned down to final dimension then the lathe is dialled in for the next 4 so you don't have to measure as often. But I did find the repetitive nature of it tedious and just wanted to get something "finished". This is why I always turn down offers of collaborations. It usually involves making multiple versions of the same thing and doing the same thing over and over just doesn't appeal. (Oh and the finishing/buffing nearly did for me).
Anyway here they are. All 13mm triple lead with 100% recycled sterling silver details and a chrome pocket clip. Jowo nibs fed by cartridge/converter.

Cheers
Ash

D4F33E80-A200-46CA-B80E-2526D610690E.jpeg15B1AB80-2AC0-4C83-A333-BAD24DC1AFF1.jpegCEC53E9D-DABA-4C53-80F6-13E38F12855E.jpeg60827472-B739-4CA3-B99A-8634FC3B55FD.jpeg4C8E9E2C-3C14-4B13-9F15-85F942DA6ED3.jpeg8838176F-ECAA-4D6E-B619-B132E6D1F7D5.jpegB2021E3E-ADA1-4B8B-A810-6F1009BC2BAB.jpeg

Attachments

• D4F33E80-A200-46CA-B80E-2526D610690E.jpeg
    D4F33E80-A200-46CA-B80E-2526D610690E.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Nice set of pens!

I think like you - I make each pen individually (aside from having a couple of barrels and caps drilled and threaded sometimes.) Since I have a wood lathe, there's nothing to dial in so it doesn't cost me any time.

I can't remember if I asked you this - if so, sorry for being repetitive: do you cast the clips yourself?

hallelujahal

Quite frankly Ash I find working on one pen at a time a bit too much at times! :)

As usual your pens are simply superb - I like 'em all - though if I could choose one it'd be the green just because I really like green!
AL

Valleyboy

Nice set of pens!

I think like you - I make each pen individually (aside from having a couple of barrels and caps drilled and threaded sometimes.) Since I have a wood lathe, there's nothing to dial in so it doesn't cost me any time.

I can't remember if I asked you this - if so, sorry for being repetitive: do you cast the clips yourself?
Thanks Duncan and yes it's true that the small time savings I made were due to using a metal lathe so it's even less of a benefit on the wood lathe.
The pocket clips are purchased from Beaufort Ink. They have a nice selection in their site in lots of finishes.
Cheers
Ash

John473p

I had a go at abandoning my usual approach of only working on a single pen at a time and tried making five pens at once. To be honest it was a bit too much.

I have made multiple pens at a time before but on those occasions I'd get the pens to a certain initial state, basically barrel and cap drilled and threaded, and then take one of them and work on it to completion and then go back to the next.
However this time I did it as if it were a production line by repeating each individual step five times. Just to see how it went.

There are obvious benefits and economies to be had in doing that. For example once the first barrel is turned down to final dimension then the lathe is dialled in for the next 4 so you don't have to measure as often. But I did find the repetitive nature of it tedious and just wanted to get something "finished". This is why I always turn down offers of collaborations. It usually involves making multiple versions of the same thing and doing the same thing over and over just doesn't appeal. (Oh and the finishing/buffing nearly did for me).
Anyway here they are. All 13mm triple lead with 100% recycled sterling silver details and a chrome pocket clip. Jowo nibs fed by cartridge/converter.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 348911View attachment 348912View attachment 348913View attachment 348914View attachment 348915View attachment 348916View attachment 348917
It's hard to believe that it is the same kit. Great job.

hooked

Thanks Duncan and yes it's true that the small time savings I made were due to using a metal lathe so it's even less of a benefit on the wood lathe.
The pocket clips are purchased from Beaufort Ink. They have a nice selection in their site in lots of finishes.
Cheers
Ash
Beautiful pens, as always! I have been trying to do the metal trim ring with Beaufort clip, but my attempts look sloppy. I can't tell from the picture, but are you putting the clip above or below the ring? Do you do anything to conceal the tiny gap between the trim ring and the clip? I don't mind the gap so much as the tendency of the clip to feel a little loose sometimes if my 1mm metal ring finial tenon is not cut perfectly.

I have been recessing the J-size clip into the cap and cutting a 1mm tenon on my threaded finial for the ring. I am just curious if you are using a similar approach, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Mark

Valleyboy

Beautiful pens, as always! I have been trying to do the metal trim ring with Beaufort clip, but my attempts look sloppy. I can't tell from the picture, but are you putting the clip above or below the ring? Do you do anything to conceal the tiny gap between the trim ring and the clip? I don't mind the gap so much as the tendency of the clip to feel a little loose sometimes if my 1mm metal ring finial tenon is not cut perfectly.

I have been recessing the J-size clip into the cap and cutting a 1mm tenon on my threaded finial for the ring. I am just curious if you are using a similar approach, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Mark
Thank you.

I put the clip under the ring. I've seen some put it above but to my eye it doss as ant really look right.

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your question but basically none of the clip ring is visible in the finished pen. It's rebated into the end of the cap and a small notch is cut for the bar that connects the clip to the ring. Does this answer your question?

hooked

Thank you.

I put the clip under the ring. I've seen some put it above but to my eye it doss as ant really look right.

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your question but basically none of the clip ring is visible in the finished pen. It's rebated into the end of the cap and a small notch is cut for the bar that connects the clip to the ring. Does this answer your question?
Yes. Thank you. I am sure my issue is technique related. I am in the process of switching to a metal lathe, and imagine my 1mm parting tool will make cutting the 1mm ring tenon much cleaner.

I'm just trying to improve my fit & finish, and your pens are always a prime example of excellent fit & finish. Thank you for sharing.

TDahl

Those are very beautiful pens. Your work is always exquisite! I was going to ask how the sanding and polishing in the production style process went, but I think you already answered that question.

Valleyboy

Those are very beautiful pens. Your work is always exquisite! I was going to ask how the sanding and polishing in the production style process went, but I think you already answered that question.
Thank you!
To be honest the buffing was the worst bit. It doesn't help that my buffing wheel is at the wrong height so my back is taking a bit of a hammering. I could always raise it I suppose…

Top Bottom