Fishy Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pnemox

Ok, so here is my first attempt at a fountain pen and it was a lot of fun. I used the Artisan Jr. Statesman kit in Rhodium and Black. This was my second attempt with black stingray and I think it was much better. Let me know what you think.

Hey, anyone know of a good US supplier of Bock nibs with reasonable prices?

20190731_233242.jpg20190731_233641.jpg20190731_233738.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

Wes the pen looks great! đź‘ŤSo I don't see the seam on this one what did you figure out the best way to close it up was? Inquiring minds must know.

pnemox

John, I did two things differently. First I used clear tape to pull the seams tightly. Then little by little I applied CA, cured it and removed the next small section of tape until it was all secured. Thin CA is best.

The second change is that after mounting I hand sanded all of the skin down to the proper depth and then used CA to level it out to a consistent diameter. You only have about 1/16 inch where it looks good and the leather isn't always the same thickness. A normal cut on the lathe will have high and low spots because of this.

John Eldeen

John, I did two things differently. First I used clear tape to pull the seams tightly. Then little by little I applied CA, cured it and removed the next small section of tape until it was all secured. Thin CA is best.

The second change is that after mounting I hand sanded all of the skin down to the proper depth and then used CA to level it out to a consistent diameter. You only have about 1/16 inch where it looks good and the leather isn't always the same thickness. A normal cut on the lathe will have high and low spots because of this.
I am glad you got it figured out. The result is amazing. Congrats on a job well done.

Top Bottom