fishing reels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Reels, or reel seats? I don't but have considered. Haven't done it because custom rod makers in my area say guys just won't pay big bucks for them. There are sites and discussion groups dedicated to turning reel seats.

its_virgil

I just took a look at the Italian site posted by Tom. Wow! My son and I ane most of the res of the men in my immediate family love fly fishing. I would really like to learn to turn fly fishing reels. Anyone know where the hardware is available, or some instructions or info? If I find any I'll post it in this thread.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by seaflower
<br />Anyone turn fishing reels. I'm trying to post some of my pictures, but my computer is not wanting to play.

Tom McMillan

Yes, he does beautiful work. I have flyfished, it's has a strong following in my family (I don't fish much anymore, though). I think my Brother has a wood flyreel (he's gone on a trip, I'll have to ask him more about it when he gets back)---Bill has written a lot of flyfishing articles and a book on his methods---he's a fish biologist with Washington Trout, and his son John is a fish biologist with The Wild Salmon Project and is a contributor at a lot of meetings with concerns for wild fish. They and my son are all avid flyfishermen too. Bill had the privilege once of taking Jimmy Carter and his wife flyfishing a number of years ago.

its_virgil

I emailed Georgio and here is what I found out: (1) The reels are not made from kits, (2) he makes his own metal parts, (3) he has no written instructions or drawings...it all in his head, and (4) he did not know how he would be able to help me. He makes the reels by himself, one at a time, as he has time. Boy, I sure wish there had been a kit we could purchase somewhere.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
'
Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Yes, he does beautiful work. I have flyfished, it's has a strong following in my family (I don't fish much anymore, though). I think my Brother has a wood flyreel (he's gone on a trip, I'll have to ask him more about it when he gets back)---Bill has written a lot of flyfishing articles and a book on his methods---he's a fish biologist with Washington Trout, and his son John is a fish biologist with The Wild Salmon Project and is a contributor at a lot of meetings with concerns for wild fish. They and my son are all avid flyfishermen too. Bill had the privilege once of taking Jimmy Carter and his wife flyfishing a number of years ago.

Rifleman1776

I checked out that site too and agree it's amazing. I live in an area that is loaded with avid fly fishers but I have never seen anything like those. We have a huge flyfishers gathering here each year. If I can learn how to make those, I know I could sell them. Would like to see one to learn how it's done.

its_virgil

Buy one Frank and then you can mail it to some of us so we can study and disect it also [:D]. This is definitely intriguing. I will not give up. There has to be a way without making one's own metal parts. Purchasing an inexpensive but quality reel to harvest the metal parts from is (maybe) one solution. Let's keep looking and thinking. We collectively have the skills to conquer this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />I checked out that site too and agree it's amazing. I live in an area that is loaded with avid fly fishers but I have never seen anything like those. We have a huge flyfishers gathering here each year. If I can learn how to make those, I know I could sell them. Would like to see one to learn how it's done.

its_virgil

Great find Bonefish. All kinds of info is out there if one just knows where to look. I think this link will be a great help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bonefish
<br />Here is a link I found:

http://orcaonline.org/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3402

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom