Diamond Willow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnson

My garage. Got some that I cut about 15 years ago. Can get you unlimited fresh stuff also. A friend has about 80 acres in northern MN that it grows on. Are you looking to turn some or make walking sticks? Just trying to figure out shipping if you are interested.
Dale

How about telling a pen turner, who is Northerly challenged, what Diamond Willow is? Any photos? Neat grain pattern? Looks like ordinary willow? What's the deal?

johnson

It is a tree that has a creamy white trunk with dark reddish orange, usually diamond shaped knots where the branches come off the trunk. The area where the branch was will usually be at least 1/4 to 1/2 below the surface of the main trunk. It is found in swampy areas and therefor best cut in the winter. It usually is found in clusters looking like a lilac bush. Cut one branch and 5 more grow back. Clear as mud, right? I have heard that it is a disease that attacks the tree, but I have never seen any standing dead. It is used a lot for walking sticks and canes. I haven't tried turning it, but have made a lot of canes. I'll try to get some pictures and post if I can find my camera.

ken69912001

Johnson, thanks for replying. I would like quite a few sticks for canes and some for pens. Let me know what you can get and shipping cost. If you want a little for the sticks also let me know how much. Sounds great to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom