First TruStone. Black with gold veins on a Black Ti Jr. Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

Fresh out of the shop. The fountain pen' body was TruStone Balck with Gold veining. The pen is a Black Ti Jr. Gent II FP. Both a first for me. The nib is 22k gold plated, a nice tie into the gold laced throughout the stone body.

This is my first pen using stone which requires more time turning and finishing. I turned the blank round between centers and then drilled on the lathe. I sharpened the bits prior to starting and took my time. It drilled about like acrylic. I turned with my carbide tool with light cuts. No real problems there either. I sanded 240, 320, 500 then MM wet through 12000 and pink rouge on my buffer.

It does take a beautiful polish and the feel and weight is something special. This will be the first of many stone bodied pens to come. Hope you like it.

Danny

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1477084542931.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477084542931.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 265
  • FB_IMG_1477084550404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477084550404.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 221
  • FB_IMG_1477084556954.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477084556954.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 205
  • FB_IMG_1477084563687.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477084563687.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great work !!!! . And thanks for posting. I have not yet done a TruStone pen and reading the account of how you approached it is really helpful. . I will do one soon.

Did you have to sharpen your bit after the initial sharpening ?

And also, what's your impression of how the carbide cutting tool stood up to the process ?

Last edited:

More4dan

Great work !!!! . And thanks for posting. I have not yet done a TruStone pen and reading the account of how you approached it is really helpful. . I will do one soon.

Did you have to sharpen your bit after the initial sharpening ?

And also, what's your impression of how the carbide cutting tool stood up to the process ?

I did a search of the forum first and found great advice and reduced my fear. It wasn't as hard as I imagined. I did sand the corners off the blank before turning. I also drilled the 10.5mm hole first to a depth just over the tube length and then cut the blank to length. I did the same for the 12.5mm hole. This eliminated the risk of blowing out the end of the blank. Easy peasy. I just touched up the drill bit cutting edge before drilling and didn't have to sharpen again. Carbide was un-phased. I did turn the blank round on my metal lathe with a HSS bit taking 0.020" passes. It also sands easier than acrylic.

Danny

magpens

Thanks for your reply, Dan.

But did you really take 0.020" cuts when turning the blank round on your metal lathe ??

I would have thought that 0.002" cuts would be more like it.

southernclay

Giving me seller's remorse Danny! ; ) Beautiful pen! You did a fantastic job with it, I absolutely love trustone, the black and gold has a really high end feel to it.

More4dan

Thanks for your reply, Dan.

But did you really take 0.020" cuts when turning the blank round on your metal lathe ??

I would have thought that 0.002" cuts would be more like it.

Yep 0.020" till I got close then 0.010" cuts same as acrylic. I've done thicker cuts in acrylic but it will stall the blanks when turning between centers without dogs.

With aluminum i usually take 15 thousands (0.015") and steel 10 thousands when the material is in the chuck.

Last edited:

More4dan

Giving me seller's remorse Danny! ; ) Beautiful pen! You did a fantastic job with it, I absolutely love trustone, the black and gold has a really high end feel to it.

Warren thanks for the materials. Inspired me to turn some TruStone. I've used it for knife handles in the past and love the way it looks and feels. Now to make a matching pair (pen and knife).

magpens

Yep 0.020" till I got close then 0.010" cuts same as acrylic. I've done thicker cuts in acrylic but it will stall the blanks when turning between centers without dogs.

With aluminum i usually take 15 thousands (0.015") and steel 10 thousands when the material is in the chuck.

Yikes !!! ... you must have a big, powerful, floor-mounted metal lathe !! ... so that it can handle those size of cuts and do it accurately without hiccupping or chatter.

What metal lathe do you have ? (make, size, and motor rating)

More4dan

Yikes !!! ... you must have a big, powerful, floor-mounted metal lathe !! ... so that it can handle those size of cuts and do it accurately without hiccupping or chatter.

What metal lathe do you have ? (make, size, and motor rating)

A Harbor freight 7" x 10" about as small as they come. Sure you don't have the decimal off a bit. 15 thousandths 0.015" is about 1/64 inch.

Last edited:

magpens

Well, that's a very similar size to the metal lathe that I have !!!!! . My lathe is a 7 x 14 Sieg.

Hahaha ... I was thinking you had the decimal off .... LOL !!

I could never do a 0.015" cut in aluminum in a single pass;
and as for a 0.010" cut in steel ... my lathe would absolutely die !!!!

More4dan

Well, that's a very similar size to the metal lathe that I have !!!!! . My lathe is a 7 x 14 Sieg.

Hahaha ... I was thinking you had the decimal off .... LOL !!

I could never do a 0.015" cut in aluminum in a single pass;
and as for a 0.010" cut in steel ... my lathe would absolutely die !!!!

Mine does without problem with HSS bits. Make sure your gibs are adjusted so there isn't slack. Turn at the right rpm and use cutting oil.

Danny

stuckinohio

I love turning tru-stone too. I use a bandsaw and cut the corners off to make it easier to cut. Then just use carbide hand tools. The shine and feel of tru-stone is amazing!

Top Bottom