First successful segmented item

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chartle

chartle

It's a little out of round but I think it good for a first try.

Also first use of my new photo cube thing.

Attachments

• 1127181205b r.jpg
    1127181205b r.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I now remember how to check for roundness of a sphere. You use something like a cup or tube and if it hits flat all the way around its circular. For these I used the top cut off the top of a medicine bottle.

I'm too shallow near the top and in the middle and bottom I'm good until I hit the too flat bottom.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 159

jttheclockman

I now remember how to check for roundness of a sphere. You use something like a cup or tube and if it hits flat all the way around its circular. For these I used the top cut off the top of a medicine bottle.

I'm too shallow near the top and in the middle and bottom I'm good until I hit the too flat bottom.

Are you doing by eye or are you using a jig to turn?? I have been wanting to make a jig for spheres. It is on my to do list.

chartle

Are you doing by eye or are you using a jig to turn?? I have been wanting to make a jig for spheres. It is on my to do list.

I took each ring down to approx size and then connected the segments. My issue on the top was I had a small catch I had to sand out and the flat bottom was due to me not having my lathe set up right. I used a PVC sort of donut chuck that didn't have enough of the end sticking out. I'll post pics when I do the next one. The chuck looks like this.

egged13.JPG

I found a video on turning a sphere by freehand. Our demo last night was the same thing. The demo was something that can't be rushed and checking the wood frequently. Beats buying a sphere tool. Here's the link for the video.
Turn A Perfect Wood Sphere Or Ball – No Expensive Jig

I can't do it that way, rotating it between centers, because of how I did the top.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 20181120_190952_resized_1.jpg
    20181120_190952_resized_1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Woodchipper

Love the donut chuck. Good idea. Might have mine glazed, though.:tongue:
I get the idea of how you are turning. Thanks for the photo.

chartle

Love the donut chuck. Good idea. Might have mine glazed, though.:tongue:
I get the idea of how you are turning. Thanks for the photo.

I pretty much make rings and then knock off the "corners"

But I now realize that I think I'm going to make a dedicated shorter real donut chuck

Top Bottom