First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duderubble

duderubble

I know it's no great shakes and I could have turned closer to the bushings but my goal was a finished and working pen. I don't know what the blank was. Kit is a slimline from my starter kit. Finish is shellwax (also from the kit) Feels good to have one done.

Attachments

• 20200512_135759.jpg
    20200512_135759.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I really admire the efforts of our newer pen makers. All of the 'first' pens, these days seemed to be so much more advanced than many of the predecessors' efforts. Most early slim lines would have been like pregnant wasps.
The other thing is that a lot of people really get confused with, is assuming that just because the kit was cheap that it is the easiest pen to make. This is nonsense of course.....it takes just as much effort and skill to make a Limited Edition Emperor as it does to make a nice slimline.
Very well done Guy, and welcome aboard. 👍

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's a wonderful first pen. 👏👍 In addition to Skip's comments above, the Slimline is not an easy first kit, although it often is our first due to the cost. However, you may be surprised at how long this pen will serve you - I have some that are working just fine 8 years later.

Well done and thanks for sharing. Stay healthy. 😷

duderubble

Thanks all. Ted the grain looks Oaky (it didn't before it was turned) but it was hard as heck, i couldn't hardly trim the ends with the brand new barrel trimmer. Had I known it was that hard I'd have selected a different blank for my first.

qquake

Personally, although my first was a slimline as well, I really don't think it's an easy first pen. For your second pen, I recommend a Gatsby. They only have a single body, and the "beads" mean it's more forgiving as to the final diameters of the ends. The Gatsby Grande is similar, but has a larger diameter body.

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 193

KenB259

Good first pen. I thing the wood looks more like zebra wood to me, but who knows. I agree, slim lines are not the best to start on. I also would suggest a Sierra/ Gatsby. They are not expensive and they are way more forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JUICEDSS

Frankly a slimline is one of the more difficult to make. You run the risk of pressing the transmission in too far and then it is game over. Other kits are much more forgiving. Good work!!

magpens

Nice pen, Guy ; congratulations on your first !!

Interesting to hear others say that a slimline is not their recommendation for a first pen .... my opinion also ... not the easiest nor most rewarding.

For what it's worth, my recommendation for a first pen (maybe a second ?) is a 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... easier and much more rewarding.

Ironwood

For your first pen, that's a great effort.
I started with Slims when I first got into penturning, there wasn't a real lot of choice back then. While there are a lot of easier kits to use these days, there is nothing wrong with using the Slimline as a training platform, for the price of one pen, you get to turn and finish two barrels.
I still turn Slims, though I usually use a Streamline centerband to make the pen a bit fatter, they are a nice frame to show off a pretty piece of wood.
Welcome to the forum Guy.

studioseven

Nice job on your first pen. My first was also a slimline. I remember that I didn't think much of it after turning until I applies the finish. I've been hooked ever since and you will probably be too.

Seven

sorcerertd

Welcome aboard Guy and nice first pen. It looks quite similar to my first, though you might have gotten a better fit at the tip than I did. I, too thought that grain looked like red oak at first glance, but I've never seen anyplace that sells just basic oak blanks. My guess on that wood is Tiger Caspi (aka Marblewood), especially since you noted it was pretty hard, but I could be wrong.

It's funny to hear so many people recommend the Sierra/Gatsby pens for beginners. I've probably turned maybe 50 so far and finally, just this week, picked up some of them. I suppose if I'd joined this site sooner, I would have learned a few less things the hard way. The bullet/bolt action pens that Mal mentioned are quite easy to turn and are quite the conversation piece. As far as slimlines, you'll find you can do an awful lot with them. There's a wide world of possibilities waiting for you and you are already on your way!

aldjmc

Better than my first pen, maybe even better than my second, and definitely better than my third. Since then I've made several mistakes, a few complete failures, and quite a few that I actually like and have given as gifts. One of my early mistakes was making too many different kits before I knew what I was doing - my first 4 pens in order were a slimline, a cigar, European round top, followed by a single body... In retrospect, I should have picked one kit and did a few of them before moving onto another style. Anyway, welcome to the hobby/obsession.

mick

Nice pen, Guy ; congratulations on your first !!

Interesting to hear others say that a slimline is not their recommendation for a first pen .... my opinion also ... not the easiest nor most rewarding.

For what it's worth, my recommendation for a first pen (maybe a second ?) is a 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... easier and much more rewarding.
Mal, I second the Sierra style, with the beaded trim rings I'll sometimes round over the shoulder of the blank to mirror the bead.
Another good pen to learn on is the Cigar, just have to keep the bushings and tubes in the right order. Slimlines can actually be harder for a new turner because of the thinner barrel wall. Not much forgiving there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

There's a wide world of possibilities waiting for you and you are already on your way!

I agree totally, and if you plan on doing shows you'll find that having a nice selection of slimlines will probably pay your expenses $30-$40 at a time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

duderubble

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I've got some other kits on the way and will make a couple more of these slimlines while I wait. But maybe with a little softer wood.

duderubble

#2 in the books. I just made a blank out of good old Missouri red cedar. Much easier turning. Unfortunately all the interesting grain I selected turned off. So I have a nice pink pen.

Attachments

• 20200513_144625.jpg
    20200513_144625.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom