USS Missouri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

A friend gave me a few pieces of Teak and Fir from the ships deck. I wanted to use a postage stamp as well as the wood and this is what I came up with so far. Not too happy with the shade of brown so I'll work on that. Questions and Comments Welcome.

Attachments

• 9C86C54F-FD0F-4442-85EC-516855D5AB2D.jpeg
    9C86C54F-FD0F-4442-85EC-516855D5AB2D.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 63EA0EF6-7CF2-4FEC-B958-D00A352E5B21.jpeg
    63EA0EF6-7CF2-4FEC-B958-D00A352E5B21.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 675FCF6B-78CE-4BF3-9FDD-50CB3F5B6922.jpeg
    675FCF6B-78CE-4BF3-9FDD-50CB3F5B6922.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 210
  • DC94102A-2E1B-4927-B367-64CB110E078F.jpeg
    DC94102A-2E1B-4927-B367-64CB110E078F.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nothing wrong with color on that pen IMHO. I've turned a few Teak deck wood pens and they come out a darker color. Reminds me a bit of a dark Walnut. I like what you've done here. COA?

Kenny Durrant

No COA but a reliable source. He grabbed it out of the trash as they were redoing it. Ha Ha. I don't have enough to try to sell but I might be able to make a few old Sailors happy.

I've got pieces off of 10, out of 11, WWII Battleships. My last piece was the last plank off the Missouri and it wasn't cheap. I've got a smaller piece that was given to me so I'll use it for my pen collection and keep the plank whole. The only piece I haven't gotten is off the Alabama and according to the museum the decking has never been replaced which I find impossible. But maybe it's under a sealed and evacuated domed lid, you never know😅. COA's are nice to have, if they are in fact accurate, but not needed especially if you know the source it came from. Hopefully I'll figure out what kit to use and get started on my Battleship Row collection sooner than later.

Kenny Durrant

I different friend did say that he could tell by looking at the wood that that is where the Japanese was standing when he signed the surrender papers. They might not put that part on a COA!!!!!!!!

I different friend did say that he could tell by looking at the wood that that is where the Japanese was standing when he signed the surrender papers. They might not put that part on a COA!!!!!!!!

If your friend can prove without a doubt that is a piece from the treaty signing deck, just name his price😁. My understanding is that the deck was saved and is at some museum, but I'm not sure, it's just what I heard. I really like getting historical items especially from WWII. My father in law, now 97, was a Navy Carpenters Mate during the invasion of Okinawa and was sent with the first wave of Marines to visit one of the Japanese airports and report back to his ship the number and models of the Japanese planes. While on the island he picked up a spent 50cal AP round that had been used to strafe the Japanese planes. He has given that bullet to me and will be part of my display. He also gave me a model 1911 .45 that he carried on shore, he had to turn in the Thompson sub machine gun...DARN. The .45 is exactly like the one I carried as a Navy Corpsman. He also rebuilt my Ka-bar that was the other weapon I was allowed to carry. It will also be part of my display. My son, a Navy vet too, has a Japanese rising sun flag that my father in law got off a Japanese ship after WWII when his ship was sent to China.
My father served in the Navy during WWII in the sub service but he never talked about what he saw or did so I have very little history from him. He passed in 1992 at the age of 67.

As a special note for anyone reading this. The above mentioned .45 went through the fires in Redding CA a few years back and was basically destroyed. It's still salvageable but needs some work. I've contacted Colt and gotten a zero response back. I'd like to get the pistol back to it's original appearance even if not being able to fire. So...if you know of anyone, or you can help me, please let me know.

Kenny Durrant

What a story. My buddy was joking of coarse. I've known of a few people that went through war and never wanted or did say much if anything about it. I hope you find a way to restore the things mentioned. I hate to admit it but I wasn't aware that the Missouri was the ship the surrender took place on. I've learned a little history as well as got to play with it in the making of these pens.

magpens

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Mal. The sad thing is that I didn't know that until I looked up a wise crack from a buddy. I am informed enough about it to ask friends that served in the Navy if they sailed on the ship. They just give me the I can't believe you think I'm that old stare.

No problem, Kenny. . I was interested in verifying that info about the USS Missouri for myself. . I did know it earlier in my life ... but aging, u know !!
[/QUOTE

You know it Mal. Here in the states war is not much studied in the public education system much. The Holocaust is hardly mentioned. It's our liberal teaching system but I've told my family what I did and I have to say I'm damned proud of my service. And my comment about "liberal" system doesn't apply to all teachers. I've got a family history of service that goes back to the Revolutionary war on my wife's side. She could be a member of the DAR but hasn't followed through. I think I mentioned before that my grandfather served as a machine gunner during WWI with the Canadian Army and was wounded twice. So I've got a ton of respect for anyone who served. Memorial day is right around the corner for those of us in the U.S. Let's remember to honor those who gave it all, they deserve it as does their family.

magpens

100% with you, Tom. . As your signature says ...

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to remain forever a child."

It is very important to remember, insofar as we are able. .
My Dad is having his 100 th Birthday today and he has a memory that I seriously envy. . He also served in WW2.
My Mom's brother also served and was killed in Italy in 1944 at Ortona.
Thank GOD for the role that US Servicemen and Women played in the Second World War. . Priceless contributions by ALL of them.
Without their sacrifices, who knows where things would be today.
Because of them, we are all free .... but who knows for how long .... I wish that some people would wake up to that fact !!

I guess it is up to us to keep pounding the drums and sounding the bugles !!

mick

Those are nice! I actually like the color 0f the wood and the images contrast nicely with it.
Several years ago I turned a couple of Cigars from the deck of the Missouri for my son in law's grandfather. They weren't near as attractive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the compliment Mick. I'm not necessarily unhappy but disappointed it didn't look like I'd expected. I was afraid that if I tried to match the stamp background to the wood and it was off some it wouldn't look like I would want. I'm thinking making the next one white. I did cast one with black and it looked great on its own. It made the stamp really stand out but I wasn't sure how it would flow with the overall pen. I guess this is one of those learn as you go projects.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska! - Those are so Cool. I did the self tour on the Missouri a few years ago during a family vacation to Hawaii. She sure was a mighty beast! I think the stamps add a very nice touch! I simply love woods with a story and a history.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Looks great, Kenny. Did you cast the stamp or use CA?

I picked up some Missouri wood on my last trip to Hawaii & was trying to decide how to use them. I really like that stamp idea.

Top Bottom