First Pen Project Help - Snap Cap Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rayrondini

Apologies - I hardly belong in "advanced" anything, as I've never turned a pen before. But it seems the most fitting place for the question. My friend has a particular snap cap rollerball pen that he uses pretty exclusively. I'd like to basically try to replicate it, except turned on the lathe. I'd like to be able to turn both the body and the cap. Any ideas where I can find all the necessary components for that? I'll also need every tool/accessory needed for pen turning (except the lathe!), so I'll be working on that, too. Any help is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You might have a look at some pen kit offerings . . .

There are others . . . do a Google Search for "Snap Cap Rollerball Pen Kit" . . . ( you may or may not require the word "rollerball" depending on your need ).

And Welcome to IAP ! ! !

rayrondini

You might have a look at some pen kit offerings . . .

There are others . . . do a Google Search for "Snap Cap Rollerball Pen Kit" . . . ( you may or may not require the word "rollerball" depending on your need ).

And Welcome to IAP ! ! !
Thanks very much for your welcome and your suggestions! I did find those prior to posting, but both have elements I don't particularly care for and I'm just not sure which I'd be able to leave out if I wanted to. The PenBlanks.ca kit all have metal caps - I want to be able to turn a wooden cap. The Berea has that long post on the end that I'm not terribly fond of. If I could use parts of either and just adapt them to a turned cap, my problem would be solved (well... this problem, anyway)! Any insights on that?

magpens

Thanks very much for your welcome and your suggestions! I did find those prior to posting, but both have elements I don't particularly care for and I'm just not sure which I'd be able to leave out if I wanted to. The PenBlanks.ca kit all have metal caps - I want to be able to turn a wooden cap. The Berea has that long post on the end that I'm not terribly fond of. If I could use parts of either and just adapt them to a turned cap, my problem would be solved (well... this problem, anyway)! Any insights on that?

Thing is . . . unless you make the components yourself (which is a pretty advanced undertaking) we have to rely on components manufactured and sold per usual channels.

Our "usual channels" are pen kit companies. . And of course that means "making do" with what's already available, and possibly modifying those parts.

I understand that you want to get creative, but before you can do that most of us need to practice on learning skills with components that are readily available.
After making a few dozen "kit pens", such as those I mentioned above, it may be possible to move on to what we call "custom" or "bespoke" pens using specialized components or components that we make ourselves. . It takes quite a while to learn the required skills and not many of us reach the levels of competence required.
Another factor is that there may be some specialized equipment required . . . equipment for plating.

Not every pen design that you would come up with is readily accessible to us with amateur skills and home-based equipment.

To make your own pen components it would be almost mandatory to have a metal-working lathe to even fabricate the parts, before we even talk about decorative features
and plating.

Long story short . . . . kit pens are a common starting point for pen makers before they branch into more creative ventures in pen-making.

jttheclockman

Have not seen a snap cap pen kit that you turn the cap because of the mechanism it takes in the cap. I believe there was a person here who did a kitless at one time but do not remember the name. I will try a search for you.

Cwalker935

This is just a thought and may not be what you are looking for but you could take a Rollester kit and insert the metal cap into wood similar to inserting a kit tube Into wood. I have thought about trying this but have never gotten around to it.

Joebobber

Personally I am not a fan of snap caps. Magnetic or twist is the way to go. Seems like that stupid white plastic piecethat catches the body always wears out so fast.

But... the editor pen is a great pen if you're looking for a snap cap. Plus, it's quite reasonably priced.

jttheclockman

Here are a couple of older threads that talk about the same thing you want to do.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/aluminum-rollerball.57723/#post-976602

https://www.penturners.org/threads/closed-end-modified-snap-cap-in-bow.66120/#post-1072089

They use to make this one FLAT TOP AMERICAN™ ROLLERBALL PEN (SNAP CAP)

https://www.penturners.org/threads/snap-caps.44742/

There at one time many 2 part snap cap pen kits that required turning both ends. But they had so many problems over the years they were basically phased out. Many fountain pen kits use to come with a snap cap and they were also converted to rollerballs. The link I supplied are few I found. If you do some more searching there were a couple people who custom made their own I remember Butch ldb2000
did a few. Not sure if he did a tutorial. Maybe I will look for that for you.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

This is just a thought and may not be what you are looking for but you could take a Rollester kit and insert the metal cap into wood similar to inserting a kit tube Into wood. I have thought about trying this but have never gotten around to it.

I gave my idea a try, see here:

Penultimate

I was successful in designing my own snap cap part. It worked but I was concerned with longevity so I bought a nib from Richard Greenwald that came with a snap cap part. I copied the design of the nib that snaps into the cap. i was making a rollerball so I had to turn my own nose piece.

Good luck

derekdd

Chiming in on this thread as I bought a few Snap Cap kits from William Wood Write in Canada when they had them on sale earlier in the summer. It uses a Schmidt 888 rollerball refill.

The closest I can find stateside is the Editor at Exotic, but that's a ballpoint. Both use 8mm bit and the same bushings, but the Editor is shorter so I don't think the Schmidt rollerball refill will fit.

It is a good alternative to the Slimline as it is almost as thin and features the longer barrel, plus many people prefer a rollerball over ballpoint. Anyone know if a US vendor carries this kit?

Top Bottom