First Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I dropped an e-mail to the Seattle Woodcraft to ask about the possibility of meeting there. I'll let you know what kind of response I get.

-Barry

broitblat

Meeting at Woodcraft

I've heard back from Woodcraft and they are on-board with the idea of meeting there as long as we can work around their class schedule, etc.

I haven't asked about specific dates, yet, but will once we seem to have a consensus on when we want to start.

-Barry

markgum

Whooo hoooo we have a place. Thanks Barry for taking that on. Now how about a date. If we have it a few weeks out, that will allow time to get the word out? I prefer Saturdays,
April 10,
April 17
April 24

11:00 ish to ???

There is a noodle soup place there close to Woodcraft and a few other eat places.

I'm free all of those days I think Barry was busy on the 17th. I think it would be best if we all could be there for the first one. Have we herd from anybody from across the water?

broitblat

It looks like I could make it either the 10th or the 24th, but I see that Woodcraft has all day classes both of those days and, with their remodel going on are unlikely to have alternate space (even for a small group).

Since we are a small group, so far, I'd be willing to host the initial event at my house in Bellevue. I have indoor space for meeting and could probably rearrange the garage temporarily for play space, if needed. I don't have enough lathes, tools (or power) for everyone to play at once, of course.

-Barry

markgum

I say, let's go for the 24th, so we have time to advertise and see how many we can get there.
thank you Barry for offering to host. I'm excited about the event.

broitblat

OK, I will send out address and directions to the folks I know about (on the original PM list). Anyone else who reads this thread and is interested, please send me a PM. I'd prefer not to "publish" my address.

Based on Mark's suggestion, let's go for:
  • Bring (some of?) your fancy pens for show and tell
  • Any wood to swap -- should we suggest a number of blanks we each bring to trade?
  • Get to know one another -- I'll try to have some snacks, etc. Details tbd
  • Find out who wants to be the leader of the band
  • Talk about schedule for future meetings
  • Discuss topics. Here are a few topic ideas I'll suggest (in no particular order)
    • Finishing - favorite CA method or other finishes?
    • Photography
    • Laminated blanks
    • Casting, color mixing, etc.
    • Display
    • Use of the skew
    • Tools and tricks
    • Closed end designs and techniques
    • Kitless techniques
    • Fountain pens
I'm sure there are lots of other topics that we may of knowledge of/interest in among us. Is there any interest in tackling a topic for the first meeting?

markgum

OK, I will send out address and directions to the folks I know about (on the original PM list). Anyone else who reads this thread and is interested, please send me a PM. I'd prefer not to "publish" my address.

Based on Mark's suggestion, let's go for:
  • Bring (some of?) your fancy pens for show and tell
  • Any wood to swap -- should we suggest a number of blanks we each bring to trade?
  • Get to know one another -- I'll try to have some snacks, etc. Details tbd
  • Find out who wants to be the leader of the band
  • Talk about schedule for future meetings
  • Discuss topics. Here are a few topic ideas I'll suggest (in no particular order)
    • Finishing - favorite CA method or other finishes?
    • Photography
    • Laminated blanks
    • Casting, color mixing, etc.
    • Display
    • Use of the skew
    • Tools and tricks
    • Closed end designs and techniques
    • Kitless techniques
    • Fountain pens
I'm sure there are lots of other topics that we may of knowledge of/interest in among us. Is there any interest in tackling a topic for the first meeting?

Great start Barry.
my 2 cents, don't put a requirement on blanks to swap/trade. Just bring what you want, if you want. not a requirement.
we could all bring snacks, :cake: make it a pot luck type thing. All depends on what the host suggests, wants to put up with.
We should add sharpening to the list of topics.
I think I have some 'name' tags here somewhere, that I will bring and I will find my camera so we can document the event as the BEST IAP Chapter meeting yet.
Just let me/us know what you need us to do Barry to get this party rollin. It's goin be a GOOD TIME... :bananen_smilies051: :bananen_smilies051: :bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:

I have lots of wood and can bring some to trade/give. Tried to use a skew and now use it as a door stop,I can make it do that. To learn how to sharpen and use it on wood would be helpful to me. Love to help but have no real interest in being the leader of the band. I can bring munchies. We could put put our heads together and work on coming up with the next great pen design.

markgum

I have lots of wood and can bring some to trade/give. Tried to use a skew and now use it as a door stop,I can make it do that. To learn how to sharpen and use it on wood would be helpful to me. Love to help but have no real interest in being the leader of the band. I can bring munchies. We could put put our heads together and work on coming up with the next great pen design.

Yeah, I want to show up that NOR/CEN Cal group :biggrin:

broitblat

OK, Let's make it a pot luck.

We'll leave the "topic" for the first meeting open based on how many folks show up and how much time energy we have after housekeeping stuff, but we'll create a backlog of topics somewhere and add sharpening to that list.

Bring blanks if you feel like it -- I guess any swaps would be on an individual level, so don't make any deals you're not happy with :)

MoJo

I would really like to meet some of the local pen turners. I've seen some great pics and definitely have a lot to learn. I'm interested in almost all of the listed topics. Unfortunately I'm not available on the 24th but I would appreciate it if you could PM with news of any future meetings.

Thanks!

broitblat

I've sent out my address and directions to everyone I knew about, so if you don't know where to go for the meeting, please let me know.

-Barry

RodTalways

Wow, I'd like to see us get a chapter started. However the state highway dept plans to close I-5 North for the day of April 24 from Olympia to Fife. This would make it almost impossible for people from the south to get to Seattle. With lane closures now, the backup exceeds 21 miles (at night). Other possibilities for meeting rooms are public libraries and city facilities. Fir Crest Center (Tacoma area) near Cheney Stadium has a nice facility.

markgum

Thank for the info. We will take this into consideration for future meetings. Having a meeting in someone's shop is nice because we might be able to get some shop time. But we also need to be considerate of travel time, so it is a balancing act.

Wow, I'd like to see us get a chapter started. However the state highway dept plans to close I-5 North for the day of April 24 from Olympia to Fife. This would make it almost impossible for people from the south to get to Seattle. With lane closures now, the backup exceeds 21 miles (at night). Other possibilities for meeting rooms are public libraries and city facilities. Fir Crest Center (Tacoma area) near Cheney Stadium has a nice facility.

markgum

DANG... work has escalated and I'm now doing 12 on 12 off. and my 12 on is during the night... I get off work about 6:30 AM; and have to be back at 5:30 PM. ARGH... Don't look like I will be able to make this meeting...

Top Bottom