First Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nates02gt

nates02gt

Here is a picture of the good side of the first Celtic knot I have done. the other side is off slightly but I learned that I need to make sure everything is lined up when doing the glue up each time. I also learned that it is very important to have the blank square and the ends of the blank squared up as well.

Nate

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogrunner

looks good.do you cut all the way through the blank. another thing to check is make sure your blade is set to 90 degrees

nates02gt

I tried both cutting all the way through and not cutting all the way through. I saw a video on Youtube that showed the guy cutting almost all the way through, leaving about 1/16" or less, so i tried that first. Due to the width of the kerf and the width of the inlay, I was getting a 'bent' blank without cutting all the way through, so it seems like cutting all the way through is better. I did all my cuts on the band saw. I set the table at 45 degrees and clamp a stop block to the miter gauge. I haven't built a sled for my table saw yet to be able to accurately and safely cut the blanks on the table saw. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your knot (this side :)) looks great!

But shoot... A Celtic Knot on a Southwestern Theme Pen Kit :laugh:.

OK, I love both actually! But... maybe on the Celtic Theme kits!

Just me!

dogrunner

your inlay needs to match the kerf of what ever blade your using. even when you cut all the way through when you glue your first inlay in the blank gets longer if your inlay is thicker than your kerf thats what throwing of you knot.cutting them on the table saw for me is a lot easier its worth the effort of building a slead.i also like a 55 degree angle or more makes the knot a little bigger hopes this helps anyother ?don't be afraid to ask

nates02gt

mark james: I dubbed it the 'diversity pen'. I made it to go with a journal I brought back from Afghanistan for my sister-in-law. =)

dogrunner: Thanks for the tips! I was unaware of the kerf 'rule' but it does make sense. did you make a sled specifically for pen blanks or do you have a general crosscut sled you use? I will have to try the 55 degrees and see how that looks.

Nate

dogrunner

yeah I just use it for pens the hardest part of making one is getting the runners to fit right in the slots look at the post blue grey oak virage if you want to see what a 55 degree knot looks like

nates02gt

dogrunner: That looks pretty awesome! I picked up some aluminum sheeting at HD the other day and plan on trying it this weekend hopefully. Do you happen to have a picture of the sled you made?

Nate

OZturner

Nice Pen Nate,
Follow the advice given by "dogrunner", and match your Insert thickness to your Kerf, and your Knots will benefit markedly.
I can appreciate your "Celtic/South Western" in particular in these days of "Multi Culturalism"
I look forward to seeing your next Knot, keep at them.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom