First Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aderhammer

Aderhammer

Here's the first stopper I've tried. Went pretty smoothly except for when I grabbed the hot cable I used to burn in the grooves. (there's indentations on my thumb and wrist!)
100_1747.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aderhammer

Ehh i guess it's just a personal thing. This one is actually payment for my uncle. Getting him to custom machine a mandrel that screws onto the lathe instead of holding the woodcraft mandrel in a chuck.

DocStram

Hey Andrew .... don't take it personally when someone in IAP tells you what they don't like about your work. For a 14 year old guy you're doing really well with your lathe projects. Think of our comments as being "constructive criticism". :D

louisbry

Nice stopper. I agree with the comments about the grooves, since the stopper is segmented. If it were a solid piece of wood the groves would look much better.

ScottBigHead

first turning / stopper

This is not only my first stopper, but the first "thing" i have done on a wood lathe. i was just screwing around with the form, on a piece of Cherry burl. i have just received the stopper mandrel from member: Smercker ( great price and fast shipping, thanks !) and wanted to make some sawdust. i have to go spend a buck on some new carbide tools, as i hacked this out with some old beat up tools that came with the e-bay lathe. and i know it need finer sanding, i only had 100 on hand to shape it, , but all in all for a 1st attempt im kinda happy with it. didnt loose a finger, didnt fly off and kill me, and i think i like the shape.

thoughts?

Attachments

• 2012-07-30 10.34.21a.jpg
    2012-07-30 10.34.21a.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 137
  • 2012-07-30 10.33.15a.jpg
    2012-07-30 10.33.15a.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 136

SDB777

Was wondering what you used for wire to make the burnlines? Pretty thick looking stuff and it must have taken awhile to get hot...try guitar string(wire), much thinner.

Burnlines are either loved or hated, not so much room for anything in between those two choices. They certainly add something to grip and hold onto while removing the stopper from a bottle.

Scott (congrats on the first) B

randyrls

Here's the first stopper I've tried. Went pretty smoothly except for when I grabbed the hot cable I used to burn in the grooves. (there's indentations on my thumb and wrist!)

Nice stopper.

Yep; That wire gets pretty hot!!!

I hope you have the wire ends held in an end stopper of some kind. I drill a hole in a 1" dowel and make small circles in the wire end., then epoxy into the hole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom