First Bespoke Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jnpenworks

jnpenworks

Good evening fellow pen makers!

This is my first post sharing one of my pens recently completed. I've been working on my process and technique for bespoke pens over the past several months, and finally finished up what is my first bespoke fountain pen. This is what I've called the Douglas, and it is done in Starry Night acrylic with black acrylic section. It uses a Schmidt converter and features a Jowo #6 steel nib.

Not shown in the photos are all the broken study pieces leading up to the successful pen! Thanks for looking and I appreciate any constructive comments!

Attachments

• 6D413577-FBC1-4AF4-AE57-554F7E7DE730.jpg
    6D413577-FBC1-4AF4-AE57-554F7E7DE730.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 412
  • 88CF93D8-C6B2-49AF-AB44-6A4544048392.jpg
    88CF93D8-C6B2-49AF-AB44-6A4544048392.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 454
  • D8297555-0EFA-4F67-9F52-EE4BF626B552.jpg
    D8297555-0EFA-4F67-9F52-EE4BF626B552.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Outstanding! I am working on my first kitless roller ball (second attempt). I like that "study pieces". I must have a library :). I was calling them "test fittings". Funny. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

TonyL

Please do. I am using and 12mm and 9mm, but I just made one with 13mm and 9mm. I wanted a little heavy thread to section wall.

jnpenworks

Outstanding! I am working on my first kitless roller ball (second attempt). I like that "study pieces". I must have a library :). I was calling them "test fittings". Funny. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you! I would like to do a rollerball myself, just haven't explored it yet. The fountain pen has proved challenging enough! I try to save all the broken ones so I know how far I've come!

Jason Miller
Jason Neil Penworks
jnpenworks@gmail.com

IG: @jasonneilpenworks
FB: @jasonneilpenworks

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jnpenworks

Very beautiful work !!!

Can you please tell us the length, diameter, and what threads you used. . Thanks.

Thank you! Of course! The largest diameter is about 16mm and tapers to 14-15mm (there's a range since I'm doing everything on a wood lathe by hand...doesn't always come out exact!).

Length I need to confirm. I want to say maybe 150mm total (5.9 in). Again it varies based on where I part it off. The section length is 30mm which I have found is really comfortable for my large hands. May have to do a smaller one for those that prefer it.

Cap threads are M13-1 single start which gives me a fair amount of play in pen size. Section threads are M10-1. Nib feed threads are M7.4-.5 for the Jowo #6 nib.

Jason Miller
Jason Neil Penworks
jnpenworks@gmail.com

IG: @jasonneilpenworks
FB: @jasonneilpenworks

darrin1200

That's a great opening piece Jason. Now we have to get you working on clips:)

I use M10x.8 threads for my #6 sections. Since my through hole in the section is 7mm, this leaves me with a .7mm solid wall thickness as opposed to .5mm thickness if I used an M10x1. I find in Bespoke pens, every little bit helps.

jnpenworks

That's a great opening piece Jason. Now we have to get you working on clips:)

I use M10x.8 threads for my #6 sections. Since my through hole in the section is 7mm, this leaves me with a .7mm solid wall thickness as opposed to .5mm thickness if I used an M10x1. I find in Bespoke pens, every little bit helps.

Thank you! Yes I've been researching clips as my next venture. Not too thrilled with what is available ready made, but I've also never done any metal work before. So that step may have to come a little ways down the line!

Great tip on the section threads. I've had several blow out due to thin walls.

Thanks!

Jason Miller

OZturner

Spectacular Kitless Fountain Pen Jason,
Beautiful Blank, Profile and Proportions,
Excellent Section, Fits and Finishes.
Would suggest that a Photographs less your hands would Improve your Posting.
Resting the pen on something small, so that we can gauge the size of the Pen.
Congratulations, Great First Posting.
Brian.

jnpenworks

Spectacular Kitless Fountain Pen Jason,
Beautiful Blank, Profile and Proportions,
Excellent Section, Fits and Finishes.
Would suggest that a Photographs less your hands would Improve your Posting.
Resting the pen on something small, so that we can gauge the size of the Pen.
Congratulations, Great First Posting.
Brian.

Thanks Brian! I'll definitely work on some alternate photography setups. I appreciate the pointers!

Jason Miller

mrtille

Hello All. @ Jason. That is a great looking pen!! I am trying to learn how to do one as well. Would anyone be willing to PM and give me tips on what I need? Looking for a mentor to help get me started. Thanks!

Merrill

PenHog

That's your first bespoke pen? I'm envious. Nicely done!

"Not shown in the photos are all the broken study pieces leading up to the successful pen! "

Please include these next time so that some of us (me) feel better :)

Top Bottom