First at many things with this one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Think the hardest thing about the 'first one' is not knowing anything....but a big thanks to George Watkins for his inspiration!!

-It was my first time pouring(wife usually does that) of mica colored resin, I've done clear casting but this is different.
-It was my first time doing this much resin in a casting...18ozs is a lot of 'hope-I-don't-screw-the-pooch-to-bad' resin!
-It was my first time using a pressure pot. Resin saver molds don't require it. And I was unsure the time requirement necessary. Firgured 45mins was okay(if not too long) cause the PR is normally hardening up by then anyway. And additional time under pressure couldn't possibly remove air or force into those little spots.
-It was my first egg. Finishing is a PITA!! Sanding the exposed areas ain't too bad, it's what to do once you part it off the rest of the blank.....hand sanding takes forever.

This cone measures about 3-1/4" round and is 6-1/2" tall
IMG_0411.jpg

It went in this for 45mins @ 45psi
IMG_0414.jpg

A different cone standing next to mold after pressured
IMG_0416.jpg

I used 4 cups. Three cups had 5ozs resin and the last had the 3ozs. I picked out a blue and a gold mica. First 5ozs had all blue, second 2/3blue-1/3gold, third 1/3blue-2/3gold, and the fourth had 7/8gold-1/8blue....mixed, added the resin and poured almost immediately(wanted the loose material to be able to get to the bottom and fill the cone areas).

The feeble attemp at turning and finishing....no, I'm not satisfied....but I at least have the first out of the way and can work towards getting everything figured out(do's and don'ts) And yes, the funny looking stuff in the photo's is a reflection(s) of everything. PR polishes really well and has a almost mirror finish, even through some scratches and whatnot!
IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Did notice some horizonal cracks just under some of the cone petals....and it has also happened on the second casting (in red). Not sure why this happens, might be the cone material shrinking from the heat in the curing? Anyone know??
I let the second casting cure and hit it with thinCA to get down in there and hold things together.

Next, flat molded sweetgum pods in resin
biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking! Comments and critiques....or even tips would be most appreciated!!!!

Scott (that thing got hot) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Around here pine cones always have sap new or old there is sticky or cemented on sap. Does the sap affect anything or are your cones miraculously sap free.

Looks pretty cool though.

juteck

Looks good for your group of "firsts". I'm thinking "poor chicken who laid the model egg for this one!!" That's a BIG egg.

Dick Sing published a book about making eggs, etc. and goes through some good detail on how to make a jig to finish both ends on the lathe instead of hand sanding. If you're planning on doing more, I'd recommend his book.

Ed McDonnell

Just brainstorming here. A couple of thoughts:

You said it got really hot. It could be that it got so hot that it left stress cracks. You might cut back on the catalyst with these big thick casts. Too much heat will definitely leave cracks.

You said you left it under pressure for 45 mins. Pressure will shrink down any trapped air, but it won't get rid of it. So you end up with pressurized air in your cast. Possibly pretty big pockets in places given what you are casting. Waiting only 45 minutes to cure before releasing the pressure could result in the force from those pressurized air pockets causing some cracking in thinner surface areas. I really think it was the heat thing above, but 45 minutes doesn't seem long enough to me.

Ed

Did you dry the cone first in a toaster or something?The heat might have dryed out the cone some.Sound to me like you were saying the cracks were next to the pettles.

Jim Burr

Banned
Couple of thoughts Scott...PR shrinks, but with all the movement a pinecone can do...not sure that's an issue. Is the pinecone dry? As a thought...Alumilite doesn't shrink and works well in castings like that...may help to change material? Last...bravo for trying something like that!!! You are the Hero of the Day!!

Bob Wemm

Bloody good result for "FIRST TRY". Well done, and I'm glad to see how other First's turn out.
I got some Banksia cones the other day so I can attempt the same thing. Will be interesting to see how I go.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Did you vacuum prior to pressure? AND, someone, is it a good idea to vacuum before pressuring, and if so for how long? Didn't mean to capitalize on your thread, but thought answers to these questions may help you also! Thanks!

SDB777

Around here pine cones always have sap new or old there is sticky or cemented on sap. Does the sap affect anything or are your cones miraculously sap free.

Looks pretty cool though.

The Lollobby Pine has plenty of sap...plenty. There were no 'sticky' spots on the cone from handling, cleaning, blowing the 'junk' out...and there is no good way to check moisture levels on something as strangely shaped as this(well, that doesn't require a guberment grant for equipment). The cones open naturally on the tree as it dries(so the seeds fall out), and then moderate winds blow them out....

It spent some time in the toaster oven at very low heat setting....

Thanks!

Did you vacuum prior to pressure? AND, someone, is it a good idea to vacuum before pressuring, and if so for how long? Didn't mean to capitalize on your thread, but thought answers to these questions may help you also! Thanks!

I'm not set up for vaccuum, unless it's with a hand pump(brake valve bleeder pump)...so the simple answer is, just pressure. This one did 45mins @ 45psi, and then allowed to just de-pressure itself through the natural leaking of the pot(think it took about 3.5hrs before I finally let the last few pounds of air out).

No problem with the questions, cause the answer might actually be of some help to me too!

Thanks for look everyone! And the comments too!

Scott (got some more first planned soon) B

Top Bottom