Finishing Stablized woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbriski

After reading the reviews on the possible group buy stablized woods I see the testers were using CA finish on their blanks. What do most people do with Stablized woods? I have been treating them like acrylics, only using plastic polish, and maybe some shelac wax and/or Carnuba wax.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I have done several things. I typically do use a CA finish as I can get the best finish that way but you can just polish them and it can look pretty darn good.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
One thing to consider in finishing stabilized blanks is that you may not have a homogenously dispersed resin. If that is the case, parts of your completed work could be raw wood. With that in mind, I do a modified CA or modified lacquer finish, even on stabilized woods. The modification in both cases is that I typically use less coats.

tone

I wet sand with alot of thick ca and 180 or 240 grit sand paper turning by hand until the ca forms a thick gel slurry and the paper stops scratching. Sand that smooth when dry then one or two coats of ca on top. I'm liking the brush on med thin ca from bb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom