Finish over aluminum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

What's been successful for those of you who've made solid or mostly aluminum pens?

So far I'm looking at lacquer and CA. I bet that clear powdercoat would be great, but that's out of my capabilities at the moment, plus there will be some non metallic inlays I'd be concerned with.

I worry about the adhesion of CA over polished aluminum too.

Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wholesaleneon

I just made an all aluminum pen, and its raw baby, no finish. It IS a work pen, so it wasnt meant to be a show piece.

My pen also had a brushed finished on it.

I reccommend getting it clear anodized if you are going raw, or with brushed look and want a super durable finish. If you are going to put a high polish on it, dont put anything on it.

Most chemicals, paints, and finishes wont stick to aluminum without some sort of etching primer, so I would stay away from those. I only say this because I cut, weld, polish and paint aluminum on a regular basis. Im pretty familiair with it.

ldb2000

I make several styles of Aluminum pens and leave them uncoated . Lacquer and CA won't stick very well to polished aluminum and will peel off rather quickly . Powder coat will last the longest but even it will eventually chip and peel .
I give my customers a small bottle of metal polish and explain that the pen must be polished when it starts to look dull . It's part of normal maintenance just like waxing their car .

I make several styles of Aluminum pens and leave them uncoated . Lacquer and CA won't stick very well to polished aluminum and will peel off rather quickly . Powder coat will last the longest but even it will eventually chip and peel .
I give my customers a small bottle of metal polish and explain that the pen must be polished when it starts to look dull . It's part of normal maintenance just like waxing their car .

What Butch said!:) I have used Imron in the past but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a fresh air respirator because of the isocyanates in it. For a high polished uncoated finish I use 3M extra cut to polish the aluminum, turns out real nice.

Top Bottom