Finish for Figured White Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzb

I rescued a very nice piece of curly white oak from a friends woodpile. After bandsawing it looks great. The question; how best to bring out the curly figure without changing the color a lot? Any suggestions/experience will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

pen1.jpg

The lower barrel on this slimline is Oak. I just used three or four coats of thin shellac. Not the most durable finish, but I was experimenting and I only use the pen at my desk. Upper barrel is Olivewood.

4reel

IF you want the figure to come out I use Watco lacquer and nothing else. I finish the raw wood to a 12000 mm before I actually apply the first coat, I spray it on, wait 30 minutes and spray it again. At 4 coats I let it cure overnight and MM it again then start the spraying again for another 2 to 4 coats. I then will either let it be for awhile and MM it later, like a week later or wait a day and try then I am inbetween on that yet as to what is the best.

buzzb

Thanks for the suggestions. I turned the blank round but over sized and will try a couple suggested here plus one from Fine Woodworking, turning off each experiment in turn. Theirs was a method of using stains to produce a finish similar to the Arts and Crafts finish produced by ammonia fuming on white oak. It is a two stage process using a lighter shade dye stain followed by a darker shade pigment stain containing asphalt. Might have to mix the dark stain with filler to seal pores. I am taking pics, will post when I have finished the experiments.

buzzb

Not sure that I will like the stained better. I have finished the lacquer experiment and photographed it. I like the results. The stained version is next. Slowed up by a medical procedure for a day or two. After the stained version is complete I will photo it and decide. I still have enough wood to turn it off and and go with whichever I prefer. Time will tell. I might try an enduro finish, although I would think it would be very similar to the lacquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom