FingerMade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FingerMade

Hello, I have just joined IAP and look forward to using the site. I have already benefited from several of the links.

I just retired from education as a high school principal. I am a long time woodworker and have been turning pens for about 8 years. I always liked to give them to my staff as gifts at Christmas etc or for a job well done. They always enjoyed them (at least they said they did).

I learned most of my WW skills from my father who was a woodshop teacher in high school. some of my fondest memories are going to his school and his teaching me how to use the lathe. I still have that first lamp that I made with him standing over my shoulder.:redface:

I look forward to learning more from the site.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Welcome to the IAP Mark. You will not find a better group of people who are willing to offer help, advice and encouragement. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

SonOfMartin

My Dad is also a retired shop teacher. He also had his administrators among other degrees.

At his retirement, I asked him why he was a shop teacher for so many years.

His answer: "I was the 3rd most powerful teacher in the school - no one messed with the Principal, the Football Coach, or the Shop Teacher!"

Dad stood over my shoulder and taught me woodworking and also taught my sons the fine art of making sawdust.

He'll always be a teacher. Dad's 83 now and coming next month for a visit and "will show me what I'm doing wrong" when making bowls.

Aargh!

Welcome to the IAP!

rej19

Welcome Mark. There is a great group of pen turners in your area. We met last month at Woodturningz in Westfield and had a great turnout. Check out the local chapters in the forums area. Have another meeting coming up soon maybe you can make it.

jbostian

Welcome from another Hoosier. Check out the Indianapolis Local Chapter. The Indy chapter is really starting to grow and it should be a lot of fun.

Jamie

FingerMade

Sawdust

Ah.....The fine are art of making sawdust. On the few times that I took a day off work to "decompress" people would often asked what I did with my time. My reply was often, "I don't know, but I have a big pile of sawdust in my shop and I feel a lot better."

It really does help.:)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Top Bottom