Finger Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Tried this for the first time today .

Why ? ? ? . Because I am always up to a reasonable challenge and just to see if I could . . . lol
Will I make more ? . . Probably not unless someone specifically asks for one but it was a nice fun little change from other types of turnings.

FingerRing.jpg

And here it is modeled on my finger .

RingOnFinger.jpg

PaulDoug

That is some nice turning. Looks like a challenge for sure. It is also pretty. I'd suggest you give up the ring modeling though. Maybe someone with a little less hair on their fingers....:biggrin:

W.Y.

That is some nice turning. Looks like a challenge for sure. It is also pretty. I'd suggest you give up the ring modeling though. Maybe someone with a little less hair on their fingers....:biggrin:

Ya . . I haven't shaved lately . :biggrin:.
I thought of getting a pretty young lady to model it but didn't want to get you guys all excited :laugh:

The turning is by far the easiest part. Sizing it exactly for a proper fit takes most of the time when making those.

wood-of-1kind

Nice "one" William. There's a ring sizing chart available to help you determine 'size' should you decide to make/sell for a custom fit. Have made quite a few myself in various species of wood, but your choice of corian certainly makes more sense (strength factor).

W.Y.

Size 10 x 6mm? Just guessing. I have one of those sizing charts here: www.boonerings.com/htmpages/sizeinfo.htm

As it turns out, sizing is not quite the science that it should be. You can find different charts with slightly different numbers!

Thanks for the chart.
I have no idea of the mm language. I never learned it when Canda converted to it many moons ago.
I am not good at learning new languages and was happy to see it has the measurements I am familiar with in the chart as well.
If I ever lost my steel ruler in 1/32 and on up I would be lost along with it. :wink: If something needs to be 1/64 or smaller , I don't need to kmow and just work around it.

W.Y.

that is really nice Bill,
I'll take one in lavender size 7 1/2 !
Alice

The only way I would make a custom one for anyone would be if they were here so I could check the hole size in the material I was making it from before, during and after. .

Illinois is only about a two and a half day drive from where I am up in the Rocky Mountains in BC , Canada .
Just slip right on over here and I will make you one while you wait in lavender at no cost. :biggrin:

Tanner

Very nice William! My Grandfather use to make stainless steel rings out of pipes. All he had was files. I have a metal lathe and have issues. Graet job!

W.Y.

William, that is pretty kewl! Willing to share how you finished it? After you parted it?

Nice!!!

Larry

No parting off at all .
After cutting the hole I finished the inside on the lathe first same way as finishing a corian pen . Sanded to 600 grit, then 0000 steel wool , then plastic polish.
Then mounted it on a tapered dowel on the lathe and turned the outside profile and sanded and polished in the same way.
There are lots of utube videos on making them that might make the process more understabdable.

rjwolfe3

No parting off at all .
After cutting the hole I finished the inside on the lathe first same way as finishing a corian pen . Sanded to 600 grit, then 0000 steel wool , then plastic polish.
Then mounted it on a tapered dowel on the lathe and turned the outside profile and sanded and polished in the same way.
There are lots of utube videos on making them that might make the process more understabdable.

You make it sound so simple. I just think you are an awesome woodworker/tinkerer!

W.Y.

The first one was just a little too tight on the inside diameter. Didn't figure on the small amount our fingers swell a little at certain times of the day.
Made another one and this time changed my method slightly and sized the inside more accurately before turning the outside.
Here is the one from yesterday and the one I made today. Got it down to less than an hour this time from start to finish..
First person that has a good fit on a finger for the light color one will have a free ring.

I took some pictures this time as I went along and and if they turn out OK , I will put a bit of a tutorial together in the next day or so showing how I went about it from start to finish .

390907017.jpg

btboone

I noticed the other one looked a little snug. Fingers shrink a quarter to a half size in winter (say around .010" or .015") so keep the first one handy for cold fingers.

Stevej72

Hey William, very nice looking rings! I made several out of antler a couple years ago, but it I had so much trouble that I didn't do anymore, even though I some requests. Thanks for the tutorial, I want to give it a try.

W.Y.

Thanks for all the kind replies.
They are very easy to make and after you have done a few and learn a few shortcuts they don't take long at all .
They make nice little gifts. I have given both of the two shown here away as little gifts already . One was just this morning at the coffee shop.
It is fun passing one around to see whose finger it fits and when it fits someone you tell them it is theirs.
Nice to see the look on their face when they say . . . really ? ? ? ? :biggrin:

W.Y.

That is cool.
Looks like corian. If it is, did you glue pieces together because it only comes in 1/2".

No gluing Ruby.
If you take a little trip back to page one of this thread you will see a link to a tutorial of how I make them :)

Cheers and enjoy

Last edited:

W.Y.

weird... all the instructions and other stuff didnt show up before, but I see how you did it now. I gunna have to try it.

OOPPSS , I made a typo in my previous message saying it was on page one.
It was actually on page two.
Tho Thorry :biggrin:.
Glad you found it . Have fun making them and giving them away or whatever your plans are for them .

freznel

hmm that hairy knuckle looks like something I viewed elsewhere.... another forum perhaps... ;)

RAdams

Banned
What it must be like to be a fly on the wall of your shop! I look forward to your posts! I made a ring once... Took me about three days and multiple tries. I may re-visit the idea after this!! Thanks for sharing!!! The tutorial was very helpful... I just got a big box of Corian 2X2's and a set of pin jaws for my chuck!! I wonder if i could cut one corian square into 4 ring blanks... back to the shop i go!!

W.Y.

What it must be like to be a fly on the wall of your shop! I look forward to your posts! I made a ring once... Took me about three days and multiple tries. I may re-visit the idea after this!! Thanks for sharing!!! The tutorial was very helpful... I just got a big box of Corian 2X2's and a set of pin jaws for my chuck!! I wonder if i could cut one corian square into 4 ring blanks... back to the shop i go!!

If you got those 2x2 sample pieces for free like I did then you could use them the same way as I do . Cutting them into 4 pieces would make it touck and go.
Flooring and hardware stores and cabinet shops throw those samples in the garbage so if you ask they will save them for you.

I got a bunch of big slabs of odd shaped pieces of corian that were cut-offs from some of their big jobs. They were glad to get rid of them and I was glad to take them off their hands :wink:

Rfturner

William your ring looks good, I plan on making a ring tommorow at my work It will be the first one I attempt. I work as a machinist in town and so it will be a metal one.

Top Bottom