Figured maple bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I turned this bowl a few weeks ago and thought I'd show it off. It's only the third bowl I've made and I'm very happy with it. I think it's what would be called fiddleback or Tiger maple, but I'm not sure. I used a dyeing technique I read about (I wish I remembered the name of the author to give him his deserved credit) to enhance the figuring where a diluted dark dye (usually brown) is applied then immediately wiped off and allowed to dry. The bowl is sanded (the article said 220 but I used 320) then a regular strength dye in a lighter color (usually amber) is applied and allowed to dry. I used a diltued red dye and mixed my own lighter dye using a small amount of orange-red and lots of yellow, around a 1:8 - 1:10 ratio. Sanded the bowl again with 320 then applied my own friction polish using the standard 1:1:1 mix. Lesson learned - don't use friction polish with aniline dyes, it leaches the color from the wood. I didn't get a high gloss but I wasn't going for one, I just wanted a nice luster. I wanted to show off the figuring, not the shine. At first I was bummed over the bark inclusion, which oddly enough didn't show on the outside of the blank. I had a small catch when hollowing and thought I burned the wood at first. What can I say, I'm a rookie. The more I hollowed the bigger it got. I think the inclusion actually looks great now, it adds character and uniqueness to the bowl. All in all, I'm very happy with it, and I'm sure to get better with more experience. All C&C welcome, except for the pics. I really need to present my work better! Also, what is a good finish to use on dyed wood?

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

You could try out a CA finish on the bowl... but I don't know how well it would like your dye... I'ld turn a small test piece and dye it and then finish it to see how it works (like perhaps a pen of the same fiddleback maple? :) )

Charlie_W

Great looking bowl there!

I haven't tried this over dyed wood yet but I use this method on other things....using some spray lacquer, just mist the surface and let dry. Do this two or three times before applying a wet coat. This may seal the dyed surface before getting it wet with finish.

I would use gloss finish to build up your coats and then if you don't like the gloss, use a flat, satin or semigloss as your last top coat.
The gloss coats will be more clear and not cloud the look of the wood/dye.

Sappheiros

I don't think there's much you could do to improve such a fantastic piece! Such a beautiful piece of work! I would be "bowled" over with pride! ;)

Very nice finish, and beautiful grain in that piece. Unless you're hoping for a utility soup bowl, celebrate the bark (and other) inclusions! I use coffee grounds and CA in mine as a filler, or just fill with clear epoxy, other use fillers to accent the inclusions. As long as its sealed/finished, its all good!

Schroedc

Beautiful job on the bowl! I've watched a tutorial by Charles Neil regarding that technique to highlight highly figured wood. It was in relation to flat work, never thought about using it on a bowl.

Top Bottom