Felt tip pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. The closest thing that I have seen to this is a refillable Yookers pen. They use standard fountain pen ink cartridges but have a felt tip instead of a standard Fountain Pen nib. Their felt tip sections appear to be threaded on both sides, so perhaps it would be possible to turn a cap/clip and a pen body threaded to accept their section.

There are also some companies out there that make a "Brush Tip" fountain pen that I think is similar to a felt tip, but it is geared more towards calligraphy type writing. - Dave

Capture from Yookers website:
Section 2.png

Bryguy

Greetings from Nebraska. The closest thing that I have seen to this is a refillable Yookers pen. They use standard fountain pen ink cartridges but have a felt tip instead of a standard Fountain Pen nib. Their felt tip sections appear to be threaded on both sides, so perhaps it would be possible to turn a cap/clip and a pen body threaded to accept their section.

There are also some companies out there that make a "Brush Tip" fountain pen that I think is similar to a felt tip, but it is geared more towards calligraphy type writing. - Dave

Capture from Yookers website:
View attachment 245288
Any idea what the internal and external thread measurements are?

monophoto

Several years ago, there was a lot of activity here about turning wooden bodies and caps to accept Sharpie refills (designed to fit metal high-end Sharpie pens, not the ordinary disposable plastic Sharpies we are most familiar with). The refill was basically the section/nib portion of the pen, and came with a plastic snap-cap; the essence of the project was to turn a body that the section/refill would thread into, and then glue the snap-cap into a turned cap. In theory, this should have been simple, but the challenge was that the threading was not standard - either in terms or pitch or shape - it was more like an Acme thread. I did one that I have on my desk in front of me, but my approach was to wrap the threaded portion of the section in PTFE tape, and then glue it into the turned body. Because the glue wouldn't adhere to teflon, I was then able to unscrew the section after the glue had cured to form threads inside the body. Another way to skin the cat - - -

When I look at the picture Dave posted, it seems to me that the problem of non-standard threading would be a challenge in adapting a Yooker's section to a bespoke cap/body. I'm sure that it would be possible to have taps custom made to produce these threads, but that would be an expensive proposition.

The other issue is that this is the first time that I have heard of Yooker's pens. While the concept is neat, the fact that they are relatively unknown suggests that there could be a supply chain issue in the long term.

egnald

Any idea what the internal and external thread measurements are?

I don't know what the threads are and I don't have any of the pens, but I know they are somewhat expensive except for their cheap plastic versions. I have seen replacement sections for sale on some online pen shops that are cheaper than buying a whole pen. - Dave

Top Bottom