Catalog ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I cannot remember where I saw this resource so if anyone knows, please advise. I'm not sure if it was on here or another site.

Not too long ago someone posted a catalog type document showing different pen kit styles that we could show to potential customers without showing them the kit cost.

If that is not readily available, how do you present kit/wood options to your potential customers without showing them what you pay for the materials?

Any help would be appreciated.

jttheclockman

My suggestion is do not give them any more options than what you make or have in inventory. You open yourself up to all kinds of custom things that you may not be able to deliver on. Whatever kits you make, have a few on hand so they can see them first hand. Looking at a photo does not show the whole picture. Same goes with materials used. Woods you have along with acrylics. Now you can take photos of these and show them to potential client. Lastly ask client if they have something particular in mind and go from there. There are soooooooooooooooo many kits on the market today it is impossibleeeeeeeeeeeee to list them all and show them all and then you have to hunt them down and in the platings. Learned long ago do not open yourslf up to orders that are tough to deliver and maybe kits you never made and have the experience to. Just my thoughts because I have been doing crafts shows for over 35 years because I do scrollsaw work as well. I see what I have and nothing beyond. Will take an occassional order if I feel I can pull it off. I have turned down orders for names on items and things like that. Not worth the trouble in my eyes. I do this as a hobby not a job.

DrD

I second what John said. I am currently cutting back to no more than10 different pen models/styles from over 20 in my inventory, and limiting the platings to no more than 4 or 5 different platings from over 8: Ti Gold, Black Ti, Chrome and maybe 1 or 2 more like upgrade gold and gun metal. Just look at the cost of drill bits, bushings - if you use bushings - on top of the kit costs. I'm doing the same with blanks as well, focusing on a few burls, and a few nicely figured woods, and some/very few acrylics. In overhauling businesses one of the first things we used to do was to cut the number of sku's/offerings; over 80% of sales typically comes from less the 20% of the available sku's/offerings.

its_virgil

When I was teaching HS math I would sponsor the junior class every other year (for 34 years). The jr class was in charge of the concession stands at the home football games. I started each year with a meeting of the room mothers to get their thoughts on menu items. Each year was the same...the room mothers wanted to offer 15 or 20 or more different food items other than candy and drinks. I would have to convince them that 5 or 6 or 8 food items would sell just as well, make just as much money and be a LOT less work. All of that to say this: I use that same philosophy with my pen selling. I offer just a few proven quality styles in rollerballs, fountain pens and ballpoints. A LOT less work and headaches. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom