Faceted vertex in black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

RobS

Faceted vertex on the beall Pen Wizard. Sorry the photos don't do the finish justice.

Attachments

• C8F3C1D9-5B2B-4EC1-8E3D-3FDA6406BD11.jpeg
    C8F3C1D9-5B2B-4EC1-8E3D-3FDA6406BD11.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 621AC629-ECB2-48AE-B907-563C4CDF39A6.jpeg
    621AC629-ECB2-48AE-B907-563C4CDF39A6.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Rob, that is a very nice looking pen, how do you find the Beall Pen Wizard works? Is it fairly easy to use, how long would it take to do up a pen like this one?

Len

RobS

Len, thank you for the kind words. Looks way better in person.

Turn the pen down to 0.60". Once you have done that. It takes about an hour, to facet (you only want to take a little off at a time, for each side, I normally go around all 6 sides about 4-5 times), then turn the ends on the lathe to match the bushings, sand 320, 400, 600, 1000, on a flat surface then polish on the buffing wheel rouge and white.

If you search on instagram BEALLPENWIZARD you should see all the ones I've made.

Please note, you may run with a Foredom or the dremel. The foredome is way easier to adjust the height on. I used the dremel on the first 2, it was annoying, so I bought the foredom. All in all it was a lot of cash, but I funded it from selling my other pens. I only turn 8 hours a weekend, so I have not had a lot of time to try everything else. I love the faceted vertex though. Never rolls away.

Lucky2

Rob, thanks for getting back with an answer to my questions so quickly, I didn't expect such a quick one. I've considered purchasing a pen Wizard, but been holding off until I get a shop built.

Len

RobS

Rob, thanks for getting back with an answer to my questions so quickly, I didn't expect such a quick one. I've considered purchasing a pen Wizard, but been holding off until I get a shop built.

Len
I would recommend mounting it, to a woden box, cutting a big hole out the bottom, and connecting to a vac system, to suck away the shavings.

If money is not an issue, then go for it. If money is an issue, then you'll have to make a lot to recoupe cost. There is soooo much you can do with it, but you have to put time in. It would have been awesome if they would have published a more thorough book on builds. This book does have a section on it, The Pen Turner's Bible: The Art of Creating Custom Pens Paperback – February 1, 2012 by Richard Kleinhenz

Here is the deal, I love it, just so I could make the faceted vertex. The faceted pen is soooo cool and sleek.

Instagram is #RobsPenWorks you are always welcome to hit me up.

magpens

Love that faceted Vertex pen !!!

Thanks for showing, and thanks for the inspiration !!!

PenPal

When the Vertex first came out I shouted for joy and made a device to facet pens. I have a Pen Wizard but like you found repetitive cutting and consistant flats very difficult using the dremel. Later Beall explained he cuts the flats using a drill set to cut the facets from the side not the top and in his demo he only cut the finished flat once. Applying the flats to fine paper works for me for clean finishing.

If you send me a pm I would share with you my Wizard mods that have made the machine more user friendly than standard.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom