Faceted Urushi pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Some time ago @Teodor showed a pen holder I found really nice. He used an Urushi technique with two layers of different colors, and sanding makes the one underneath showing up. Usually, it is used with vermilion on a black base, but Teo used blue instead of black, that was very attractive.
So I decided to make a pen using this technique, with its pen holder of course. I thought a faceted pen would make the sanding more natural. So let me introduce my blue Negoro faceted fountain pen:
IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Here and there, I added some blue dry lacquer powder in the red Urushi to get a more vibrating color:
IMG_0865.JPG

C&c very welcome, and a big thanks to Teo for inspiration!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful collaboration of concepts. I say this only as inspiration deserves credit, and acknowledgement of such deserves equal credit, far too many do not acknowledge where their inspiration came from, you did. đź‘Ť

Beautiful artistry Pierre. I love your work and appreciate your inspiration and use of it's impetus. Well done.

This is a superb work - I love the blue streaks!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Pierre, I never thought of it when I lived there but I lived in the neighboring prefecture for 14 years to Wakayama and Iwade-shi (Negoro) and went there on several occasions with friends but never connected Iwade Shi and Negoro urushi finishes. That basically is what defines most of Japanese lacquer-ware.

Your pen is magnificent! Thanks for posting it.

magpens

As Mark said .... SUPERB workmanship, Pierre !!!!

Congratulations !!!

I do not know how you did the faceting so perfectly !!! . VERY well done !!!

Pierre---

Thanks gentlemen!

Pierre, I never thought of it when I lived there but I lived in the neighboring prefecture for 14 years to Wakayama and Iwade-shi (Negoro) and went there on several occasions with friends but never connected Iwade Shi and Negoro urushi finishes. That basically is what defines most of Japanese lacquer-ware.
Yes Hank, Negoro style refers to the wares made and used in the temple during the XIVth century, near the place where you lived. They were usually red on a black base. With use, the black showed up here and there. It is much appreciated in Japan, a way of finding beauty through use, or in the passing of time. I am sure Martin Pauli can say much more about it.
Nowadays of course, it is sanded. I also polished it, though traditionally I think Negoro is not, because use is supposed to somehow dull the surface. But I don't necessarily want to follow the Japanese tradition, even if it is so worthy of respect.
This is a real Negoro bottle, seven centuries old:
REtIb2jNtCrugwg77ucNch9D1g4mvGBv5D4oF4A4cdH_SvqxbI.jpg

How did your turn/shape the facets, please?
Not sure if a Pen Wizzard can make that. In fact I drew (most important step), rasped, filed, scraped, sanded and polished, like my Bash kitless. I love hand work! :)

Top Bottom