Faceted pen from Elforyn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Teodor

Teodor

Hello all,
This a pen made from Elforyn material. There are 10 facets on the cap and 12 on the barel.
The threads on the barel are made from ebonite.
The most challenging part was the sanding and polishing.
Nice day everyone.
Teo
496cc8eb9a01f1c012fccfa9d0258ca1.jpg
8eac48b1db78e4deb581c2d22320115b.jpg
b28c3553d90ecdedd0d15253c9671527.jpg
372ce1cf7946baee56cd135dac24a8ac.jpg
d1e740a1896de978792af46d344faf35.jpg
1bfeacd0eae0d70d41eb28255212ff31.jpg
9f0b587f89ed28d0c614faa748484ad5.jpg
672868610562185a35ea1578f58d44f0.jpg
bf832525042e7cd3d168d308d6af9e9e.jpg
1daf76568082331459222dae536cc048.jpg

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

May I ask how you produced the facet. Or is it a closely guarded secret.
You have certainly made a Beautiful pen.

jttheclockman

Love the pen and each aspect you did with it. Had to look that material up for I never heard of it. Now the question is where did you get it and is it something that can be found without restrictions such as laws against it's use?? I know you are not in the USA but maybe a supplier that may have it. Does it come in various colors and patterns?? Thanks for showing.

jalbert

Love the pen and each aspect you did with it. Had to look that material up for I never heard of it. Now the question is where did you get it and is it something that can be found without restrictions such as laws against it's use?? I know you are not in the USA but maybe a supplier that may have it. Does it come in variouscolors and patterns?? Thanks for showing.
Exotic blanks carries it....

magpens

Very beautiful pen !!!

You say ... " The most challenging part was the sanding and polishing." ... I can well understand why that is so.
How did you overcome the tendency for the corners to become more and more rounded during the sanding and polishing ?

Also, is there a practical (other than aesthetic) reason for doing different numbers of facets on the cap compared to barrel ?
I can think of one possible reason ... "hiding" of facet alignment issues when screwing on the cap. . Anything else ?

I notice that you did the same on this other pen you showed .....

With the threads on a separate piece ( ebonite ) you can do initial alignment at the time the ebonite piece is glued in.
But if the threads are multi-start, the alignment could change from one time to the next, depending on the thread details.
I guess this could be at least part of an answer to my question.

Final question - (until I think of more :rolleyes::cool: ), did you do the facets with a milling machine ?

Last edited:

Teodor

Very beautiful pen !!!

You say ... " The most challenging part was the sanding and polishing." ... I can well understand why that is so.
How did you overcome the tendency for the corners to become more and more rounded during the sanding and polishing ?

Also, is there a practical (other than aesthetic) reason for doing different numbers of facets on the cap compared to barrel ?
I can think of one possible reason ... "hiding" of facet alignment issues when screwing on the cap. . Anything else ?

I notice that you did the same on this other pen you showed .....

With the threads on a separate piece ( ebonite ) you can do initial alignment at the time the ebonite piece is glued in.
But if the threads are multi-start, the alignment could change from one time to the next, depending on the thread details.
I guess this could be at least part of an answer to my question.

Final question - (until I think of more :rolleyes::cool: ), did you do the facets with a milling machine ?
Hi there,

So many challenges with this pen....
I spent several hours thinking how to make it and obviously the first choice will be with a mill but hey I have a very small shop and I don't want to end down to my neighbours floor.
I have a Myford Super7 that has a lot of accessories, one of them being a vertical slide where I mounted a dividing plate.
The rest was quite simple, adjust the angle to create a taper and a lot of elbow grease.

Now facets...the cap and barrel have different thicknesses so it will be very difficult to obtain equal sizes facets for same number, also a pain to align them...
So the obvious choice was to make 10 on the cap and 12 on the barel.
As for the sanding, yes I wanted them rounded but actually it's a pain to sand so I have different designs to test... especially for Urushi work...but we'll it's manual work and beauty is in imperfections.

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_110929.jpg
    IMG_20210305_110929.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20210304_090336.jpg
    IMG_20210304_090336.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 159

Kcimdrib

Well thanks for letting us in on the method used to produce the facets. I remember the Myford Super 7 from my engineering days also a great machine for model makers. I think you have made a great looking pen.
How you made it is very interesting not strictly wood turning I suppose but a great achievement well done.

magpens

Hi there,

So many challenges with this pen....
I spent several hours thinking how to make it and obviously the first choice will be with a mill but hey I have a very small shop and I don't want to end down to my neighbours floor.
I have a Myford Super7 that has a lot of accessories, one of them being a vertical slide where I mounted a dividing plate.
The rest was quite simple, adjust the angle to create a taper and a lot of elbow grease.

Now facets...the cap and barrel have different thicknesses so it will be very difficult to obtain equal sizes facets for same number, also a pain to align them...
So the obvious choice was to make 10 on the cap and 12 on the barel.
As for the sanding, yes I wanted them rounded but actually it's a pain to sand so I have different designs to test... especially for Urushi work...but we'll it's manual work and beauty is in imperfections.

Hi Teodor,

Thank you very much for these explanations !!!

I fully understand now the reason for the different number of facets on the barrel and the cap .... a question of the available "meat", as we'd say !!

Cheers, and thanks again !!

Top Bottom