Facet Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
16: Facet-ilitating a New Project
last post: 15- Center Bands from Barrel Trimmed Scrap Wood
post16.12.jpg

post16.06.jpg
I just finished my first and second faceted pens. I made them using a new jig with a router table.

The Problem
I didn't want to spend money on new gear so my goal was to adapt equipment I already own.

My Solution
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
I modified the "star-shaped" guide from my drill press jig and turned it into a sliding carriage for a router table.
The resulting design worked well: it's fast and sturdy.
post16.15.jpg

post16.16.jpg

post16.a2.jpg

post16.06.jpg

After each pass, the carriage ends split apart, the blank is turned 60 degrees and reformed for another pass.
post16.a3.jpg

post16.a1.jpg

post16.a4.jpg

The Process
1. Turned two blanks just below the barrel trimmer line.
post16.08.jpg

2. Installed one segment onto the bolt, fitted with spacers.
post16.04.jpg

3. Ran it through the router table slowly which yielded a smooth surface.
post16.06.jpg

4. Slid the bolt left, turned 60 degrees and made another pass. Repeated until done.
post16.05.jpg

5. Even while working carefully this process went very quickly.
post16.02.jpg

6. Turned, sanded and finished.
post16.01.jpg

post16.14.jpg

Modifications
I think there are some interesting modifications to explore with this method.
If I come up with anything worthwhile I'll be sure to post.

Thanks!
There are more examples of fine faceted work than I can name but these three pens really got me excited to give it all a try. Jordi's Paula de la Musica design (wow!), John's Dodecahedral design and Pierre's Faceted Urushi are high examples of creativity combined with excellent execution. Thanks for sharing your inspiring work!!

The Jig
I'm attaching the *.obj file (FacetJig.zip) for anyone who may find it useful.
If I did not have a 3D printer but still wanted to rig a thrifty option, I could probably use the 6-sided head of the hex bolt as a way to index the revolution. Just an idea.

Thanks for looking!
- Cullen

Attachments

• post16.06.jpg
    post16.06.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 158
  • post16.05.jpg
    post16.05.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 164
  • FacetJig.zip
    16.9 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

William, though I have not used many jugs of any type I must say it is a joy to see your work, thought process and knowledge sharing. Thank you for being a member and contributor.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another innovation!!! Wonderful, and, I will add that your graphics and detail in your narrative is superb. Take your vitamins, exercise and stay hydrated... IAP want's to keep its assets healthy. 🤣

Curly

Nice, simple and inovative jig but I have one reservation about it. It is kind of small so the fingers get a little close to the router. Can you print it bigger or make it fit a sled of some kind?

Wmcullen

Good call! Safety first. I played with a few different designs and all I can say is I was satisfied with the distance and protection this afforded my fingers. But adding additional material or a sled (great idea!) would provide more room. Thanks for the contributions.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good call! Safety first. I played with a few different designs and all I can say is I was satisfied with the distance and protection this afforded my fingers. But adding additional material or a sled (great idea!) would provide more room. Thanks for the contributions.
I would suspect that the pointer fingers (L & R) get'd pulled back as you approach the router bit. I do this and am comfortable with the clearance. Close to 1". But yes, safety is paramount said the 10-fingered worker!

Top Bottom