Experimenting, again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

I've been experimenting with casting floral blanks and internal polishing. Internal polishing is challenging to say the least. I've got it maybe 3/4 of the way figured out, and it's just something I'll have to keep doing to get better at.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.mov
    30.9 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Are you familiar with the flame polishing method? It takes some practice but it works well.

The first link has a link down from the top that deals with flame polishing acrylic du k calls and I believe it is adaptable to pens.

Hippie3180

I
Are you familiar with the flame polishing method? It takes some practice but it works well.

The first link has a link down from the top that deals with flame polishing acrylic du k calls and I believe it is adaptable to pens.
I saw this video, will it work on Alumilite do you think? This guy was using Acrylic I believe.

Hippie3180

I
Not 100% sure, I will let others comment on this. If you have an old Alumilte blank, try it and see. I think it will.
I tried with a small butane torch and it didn't work. I'm not sure if it's a temperature difference in torches perhaps or that Alumilite is polyurethane.

Does anyone have any input about this?

Dannv

FWIW< I made myself a small mangrel that will hold a small piece of zona paper. I polish the inside of anything i make that isn't totally opaque.

Dannv

Is this mandrel something like a dowel with a slit in the end, where you put a piece of Zona paper in the slit and either spin the mandrel in the headstock or a drill while moving the piece over it?
Yes. I chuck it in my collet chuck on the lathe. Mostly I just go through the zona grits, but I have also used a piece of shop towel with plastic polish on it to finish it off.

Top Bottom