Everyday Classic Click - Gun Metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Here's my first one of these. I bought the starter set (and had 20% code).

Some differences/similarities from the Dura Click EDC:

• Longer barrel/tube (more turning material to displace). Same bushings though.
  • No white adapter. I placed a Parker-style GEL refill in mine. The EDC couldn't accommodate the MV GEL that I had because of the white adapter.
  • The click finish matches that finish of the other components
  • The clicks is held on by the finial threads. This is where I may find myself using blue LT to prevent "The Spinning Clip Syndrome" :)
  • Schmidt transmission
  • I find the EDC easier to grip given it knurled section.

We will see how this goes. I think Exotics has these on sale this week.

Everyday Classic Front.jpgEveryday Classic Back.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@TonyL

Thank you, Tony .... nice work and very helpful comments !!!!

But I think the prices you mentioned are, in fact, the regular prices .... agreeing with PSI prices.

TonyL

Thanks all, and thanks Mal. I thought I saw them advertised in Ed's Sunday night sale email. Maybe, he was just announcing that he carries them.
I bought the bundle and waited for the 20%. I keep saying that I will use what I have...until I see a sale LOL.

DrD

Good looking pens. After you've had some time with them, would be interests in your preference: these or DuraClick.

Don

magpens

@DrD

If you are interested in my opinion .... I have made both the "DuraClick EDC" and the "Everyday Classic" (the subject of this thread) ....

Both are quite attractive, and, perhaps more importantly, both function well and seem to be robust and durable, with each using a slightly different Schmidt clicker operating on the same principle. The DuraClick uses the Schmidt SKM-88 clicker; the Classic uses the Schmidt SKM-192 clicker.

From a styling point of view, you have to make that choice.

From my perspective, I prefer the visual appeal of the "DuraClick EDC" because of the knurling both top and bottom. . However, I do not like its shorter barrel and the fact that there is a short white internal "insert" that plugs into the top of the Parker-style refill in order for the push-button plunger to make contact with the top of the refill.

I think that the white "insert" could have been avoided by slight alteration of the length of the bottom knurled section and also altering the barrel length. . Those changes would make the "DuraClick EDC" very close to an "ideal" design for a ballpoint click pen.

The "DuraClick EDC" also has the preferred click mechanism, in my opinion, although the two click mechanisms are quite similar.

As for the "Everyday Classic" (subject of this thread), I like it very much also. . I like its longer barrel, but I don't like the hardware styling as much.
I also do not like its "super stiff" clip. . The clip on the DuraClick is much more to my liking.

Comparing the barrel diameters of the two, they are almost the same, with the DuraClick being about 0.445" and the Classic being 0.440".

Someone with a metal lathe and appropriate skills could shorten the nib-end hardware of the DuraClick and thereby achieve a longer and more attractive barrel. . This would give you an almost ideal pen. . With careful mechanical re-design it might be possible to eliminate the white insert also.

As things stand, comparing the two pen kits, my vote comes down in favor of the "DuraClick EDC" in spite of the shorter barrel.

Last edited:

DrD

Thank you! I am on this site because I seek opinions from all who are willing to share. So, thanks again. I have no desire in high-jacking this thread, so my request for your next opinion might best be addressed elsewhere, but I still seek your - and others' - opinion/reasoning about why the SKM-88 is the better of the 2 mechanisms. Thanks,

Don

greenacres2

Very good looking pen Tony. Is that a Diamond Cast blank, or did you make that one??

Mal--thanks for that write-up. I've not ordered either yet, but would like an alternative to Vertex in a single barrel click. Watching the assembly video, i don't have to ask if the Refill extender could be glued to the click mechanism. Do you know if the extenders available as a solo part (for when people discard them!!)

Thanks,
earl

Top Bottom