Every Silver Lining has a Cloud.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
First the silver lining.......
Yesterday was a bit of a big one for me. I have finished all my chemo for hopefully the foreseeable future. Although I'm 'technically' not in remission, all my levels are good enough so that I can just go into a monitoring stage. I had a total of 22 rounds of 3 different chemo's. 10 for the Multiple Myeloma, 4 for the original Bowel Cancer and then 8 for the metastasised BC into my lungs and liver. The last batch was pretty tough going I have to admit. But I walked in on the first one and I walked out on the last one. :D With the amazing and wonderful help from many medical teams and especially being looked after by my darling wife, as well as trying to maintain a positive attitude I managed to not leave feet first in a box.
I think most cancer units all over the world have a bell that patients get to ring if they get cured, go into remission or, like me get well enough to take a break.
I may have scared many of the patients half to death with my ringing, but I got a big cheer and whoop whoop from the rest. :D
I also had my Picc line removed. There was some serious butt cheek clenching when the nurse removed the retaining hooks !! They may only be about a quarter inch but felt like ship anchors !! :oops:
Here's a pic of me ringing the bell.
bell ring.jpg

Now for the horrible cloud....
We have several cats. All from rescue centres. The oldest was a beautiful calico. Unfortunately, just like me, she had bowel cancer. Unlike me, my tumour was removed and I got a stoma. That simply wasn't an option for her. She had got progressively worse over the last few months even though she was on some pretty strong meds.
We made the heartbreaking decision today not to prolong her suffering and I took her to the vet to be put down. Even with social distancing rules in place where vets just meet you at the door and take your pet in, they let me come in and comfort her till she passed. Yes, I cried.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My sincere condolences for your calico - I did this twice in the last 2 years. The bonding we have with our four-legged family is very powerful.

It was nice to hear of your positive progress. I do hope the journey ahead is a bit less bumpy.

Be well.

jttheclockman

Steven, as you say walking out of treatment in the recovery mode you are in is a tremendous accomplishment. Chemo is some rough stuff. I seen my Dad go through it. I wish you continued well wishes as you continue down this path. Modern medicine has come a long way but the drive and desire of the patient means alot also and you have proven this. Stay positive and look forward to seeing some beautiful projects emerge from that lab of yours.

magpens

Steven, this is "ONE BIG STEP for (a great) man" !!!!! . CONGRATULATIONS !!!

It is wonderful to see a pic of you ringing that bell !!!!

Here's a big bouquet of HOPE for continued progress and I feel very confident that's the road you are now on !! 💐

I sincerely regret that your beloved calico cannot be your companion on this stretch of the road to complete recovery !!

CjG78

C9n
Yesterday was a bit of a big one for me. I have finished all my chemo for hopefully the foreseeable future. Although I'm 'technically' not in remission, all my levels are good enough so that I can just go into a monitoring stage. I had a total of 22 rounds of 3 different chemo's. 10 for the Multiple Myeloma, 4 for the original Bowel Cancer and then 8 for the metastasised BC into my lungs and liver. The last batch was pretty tough going I have to admit. But I walked in on the first one and I walked out on the last one. :D With the amazing and wonderful help from many medical teams and especially being looked after by my darling wife, as well as trying to maintain a positive attitude I managed to not leave feet first in a box.
I think most cancer units all over the world have a bell that patients get to ring if they get cured, go into remission or, like me get well enough to take a break.
I may have scared many of the patients half to death with my ringing, but I got a big cheer and whoop whoop from the rest. :D
I also had my Picc line removed. There was some serious butt cheek clenching when the nurse removed the retaining hooks !! They may only be about a quarter inch but felt like ship anchors !! :oops:
Here's a pic of me ringing the bell. View attachment 245487

We have several cats. All from rescue centres. The oldest was a beautiful calico. Unfortunately, just like me, she had bowel cancer. Unlike me, my tumour was removed and I got a stoma. That simply wasn't an option for her. She had got progressively worse over the last few months even though she was on some pretty strong meds.
We made the heartbreaking decision today not to prolong her suffering and I took her to the vet to be put down. Even with social distancing rules in place where vets just meet you at the door and take your pet in, they let me come in and comfort her till she passed. Yes, I cried.
Condolences mate, may you gain full health and match on mate!!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Our pet is like a person to us also. I can understand. It hurts to let one go. Praying for you on this, and praying for the continuous healing of your body. You have been a beacon on this forum with your precisions designs and encouraging comments!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Steven! Glad you finally got to the break. Now take it the rest of the way. So sorry about your friend. It's difficult.
Your bell is nicer than mine was. No pictures, but a Nice certificate signed by the entire staff.

Good to hear from you!

PenPal

No bell for me but I have 5 yrs in remission with nil shows for this I am grateful and wish you both the courage to keep going mate.

All the best from Wilma and me on Sunday week Itrust I will be 86yrs,''

turnit2020

Sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved Calico. They really get into your heart.
But congrats on the great news for you on your battle with the big C. Stay safe and healthy.
Turncrazy43

MPVic

Here's a pic of me ringing the bell. View attachment 245487

Hi Steven:
Pets are just like people too, so tears are justified - take care.

moke

Skip,
I am glad to hear about your remission. 27 years ago, my wife went into remission from Muscular Dystrophy. Specifically Myestenia Gravis. She has done well, and while a related issue pops it's head up now and again, she has and is doing well. My hope is, you can do as well as she has done. There are no bells is MD clinics, at least not that I know of, but that is a great tradition and can really lift your spirits......congratulations on that. While I only know you from this site, I think you are the kind of person that does not complain. Make sure though, that you are totally honest with the Doctors..... if something bothers you...tell them! Congrats again, you deserve it.
As for your cat, they work their way into your heart, don't they. We have lost two dogs and those were some of the worst days of my life.
I am sorry for your loss....

Scott

Steven, I am so happy to hear that you have made it through the treatment! I was so worried for you when you told us about your cancer. Stay healthy and go to all your follow-ups!

i am sorry about the loss of your feline friend. My old kitty, almost 19, is sacked out on my lap right now. He has kidney disease, and he doesn't move around much anymore. I will miss him when he is gone.

take care my friend!

scott

SteveJ

The picture of you ringing the bell brought tears of joy to my eyes. I outright cried when my son rang the bell! Congratulations. May you be granted with years of good health and clean follow up tests.

howsitwork

Hey just realised you got a new turning smock in the photo . 😉

Given your turning and lacquering skills is white really a good colour for it though? 🤔

Stay well my friend

Top Bottom