Etching & anodising system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which would you be interested in ordering? You can pick more than one.

• 1 system

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • both systems at the same time

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • 1 dye kit

• 2 dye kits

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 3 dye kits

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 4 dye kits

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BradG

Hi guys

I am contemplating supplying all the equipment needed to etch and anodise. I would like to start a poll to see what kind of interest there would be before investing a lot of money into the stock. While of course your vote is not binding, please only vote if you are actually interested in making a purchase at a later date

With these systems you can make these yourself:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Etching system
Stainless, Aluminium, all copper based alloys
Includes:
Digital power supply
A 5.5 litre etching tank and a lid
225mm x 90mm cathodes
Blue wire
Brown wire
Crocodile clips
Electrolytic etching guide written by myself
An assortment of vinyl stickers to be used as masking.

Anodising System
Aluminium
Includes:
Digital power supply
A 5.5 litre anodising tank and a lid
225mm x 90mm cathodes
Blue wire
Brown wire
Crocodile clips
Goggles
Gloves
Safety data sheets
Anodising guide written by myself
BG1 Alkaline surfactant cleaner
**Will need to buy your own battery top up acid from auto store- this is to keep shipping cost down**

Pricing
Each system costs $299 + shipping. (£200)

However, once you have purchased one, you can buy the other for only $75.00 (£50). This is because you already own the power supply from the first purchase and do not need to purchase another one, with also a discount applied for buying both.

Dyes
Dyes will cost approximately $25 for each colour,and will come with their own 5Litre tank with sealable lid

Shipping
Shipping will need to be calculated closer to the time of this venture as it will vary worldwide. These systems contain no liquids, but only the powders which are dissolved in water. Because of this weight is kept very low.

Attachments

• 13243989_1028808467210819_2963011965013524266_o.jpg
    13243989_1028808467210819_2963011965013524266_o.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 711
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 786
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am interested, but have a question on color:

Is there a way to mix or vary the colors. I read your statement comment on the green pen, that you had to leave it in the solution for longer periods, so I am guessing that addresses the saturation or strength of color. But does one need to buy a specific color dye, say for turquoise, or is there a way to mix basic colors to yield different colors?

BradG

Hi Steve. You would need to buy a turquoise dye. As you have figured out, different shades of that colour can be achieved by changing the duration it's left to soak.

I actually just purchased turquoise for myself along with orange. I am yet to try those two out :)

gbpens

An article I read some time ago mentioned using two acids in the process; nitric for cleaning and sulfuric for the anodizing. What are you using for the cleaner? It seems all containers will have to be glass since acids will eat up most other materials.

BradG

Not at all, your car battery isn't made of glass and the sulphuric used in anodising is only half the strength. In fact both my nitric and sulphuric acid which is in fuming concentrate form both come in plastic bottles. Only LDPE plastic however. Some acids will dissolve plastic however, such as hydrofluoric.. but nothing in relation to the two processes outlined above.

Nitric acid is the industry standard for cleaning. If you're running a plant with big anodising racks then a nitric bath would be used. For us, we use washing up liquid. Nitric acid is not required.

Ed McDonnell

Do you need a dedicated area for anodizing that would be isolated from the rest of the shop to avoid rusting everything out?

How much space would a three-color anodizing system require. It seems like the system would most probably be set up full time? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you would break down and store and pull out only when you need. Or is it?

Ed

BradG

Hi Ed
these have sealable air tight lids and once I've finished using mine, I take the cathodes out, give them a rinse and put them in a drawer. Clip the lid on and stack them on top of each other. Minimal space used. A meter wide area is ample but it does not need to be dedicated :) very quick to setup and not a chore

While using it ventilation is required. I leave my workshop door open to the outside to get a breeze coming through. That's plenty. For a more elaborate setup you could put an extractor fan in above your area.

You're not pumping out crazy corrosive gasses, but enough to irritate your throat if you don't have ventilation. If you were storing concentrate then yes, things will rust in the area, but not at 15% dilution to water in a sealed container

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

BradG

In this pictures theres:
An anodising tank
A chrome tank
A black Chrome tank
A zinc tank
And 4 dye tanks.

Minimal space :)

Attachments

• 14639309912181697208918.jpg
    14639309912181697208918.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Great. I put a sealed jug of pool acid in a garden tool shed. Learned the hard way not to do that again.

So in the picture, you have Chrome and black chrome. That's not for anodizing, is it? Will this system be able to do plating as well?

Ed

BradG

Hi Ed. Yes I learned the hard way of leaving 5 litres of concentrate sulphuric in my shop too. You wouldnt think things would rust around a sealed bottle but there you go

No the chrome and zincate tanks are for other processes I do. My plan is to roll out the anodising and etching systems, and at a later date il supply the replica chrome tanks too once I've checked out all implications of shipping the chemicals etc. My main focus is making sure what I'm supplying is safe and enjoyable for everyone. With that in mind I am happy to supply the anodising and etching systems until I've covered all bases with the others.

BradG

Hi folks
Thanks for registering your interest. There's enough people interested to warrant ordering the parts required in bulk so il get to work putting everything together, which I hope will be finalized within a month.

I shall have a word with Jeff with regards to the correct place to advertise these for sale.

Top Bottom