Enterprise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Evelyn and I took our car to the body shop yesterday and rented a car through Enterprise :mad:. We went with them because we get a discounted rate through our insurance company. I used my bank credit/debit card to pay for it....the person ask me for two bill such as phone or power. I don't carry those thing around with me and I did not know I would need them. I asked why and was told because I was using a debit card. I said it also a credit card and he told me it was a debit card. I was able to find the information using my phone. When we were being told about the insurance that Enterprise offers he told us "If you are in an accident we will take you $$$ deductible" not once be twice as if he was trying to intimidate us. I really felt like I was untrustworthy. I will never rent from enterprise again. I would say they really lack in customer service but it not that good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

That's pretty strange. I'm with you. I wouldn't ever go back to them, either.

We always rent from National. They've never pulled something like that on us. Of course, renting from National is so simple that you barely deal with another human, anyway.

RKB

My wife and I had a similar experience. It took over 45 min to get the "paperwork" completed at their office. My car was having bodywork too and we had to rent a car to get around. We won't use Enterprise again either. (( rant on )) It appears that common courtesy and manners related to face to face communication are sadly lacking. People skills are one subject that should be taught again in school. (( rant off)) Hope your car gets repaired soon. :)

plantman

Dan; I know what that feeling is like. You have worked hard all your life and served your country willing to give your life so that others may keep theirs !! I know people are only trying to do their job, but there is a method of doing it without making you feel uncomfortable. Usualy when I run into someone like that I reach for my belt and ask if they want a blood and urine sample as well. Jim S

Gregf

I have rented from Enterprise several times. I prefer them. Maybe just an issue with that location? They do always emphasize your liability in the case of an accident for damages as well as loss of use charges. I wouldn't call it a hard sell. Just no surprises.

Fireengines

Keep in mind, a large number of rental car companies are not company owned. Many are franchised and can do just about anything they want.

I use to review travel vouchers and ran across one rental company that listed "tire rental."

In Kansas City, Dollar rented me a car with 60,000 miles and three bald tires. I demanded a different car. Come to find out they got the rental cars from auto auctions.

lorbay

I don't know why they call them debit cards down there as they are not the same as a true debit card in Canada. When I was down there 2 weeks ago everyone said credit or debit card, so I would give them my debit card and they would say that's not a debit card. I said oh yes it is and they would say it has to have a visa or mc symbol on it. So to me that's connected to your visa or mc cards through your bank, os to me that's a glorified credit card. Not the same in Canada. Ours are true debit cards.
Lin

OOPS

Twice recently my parked vehicle has been hit by other motorists. Both times, the insurance company suggested I use Enterprise, which they paid for. I found out during my experience that the rate you see quoted is far higher than what the insurance co. actually pays. On one of my contracts, it said the rate was $55 per day, but when looking at the fine print added by the computer, the actual rate was $18.99/ day. Both times I was pushed hard to purchase their insurance on the rental, which was $15.95/ day. As you can see from these numbers, each person who actually buys their insurance nearly doubles their daily income for that vehicle. That's why they push so hard for you to get it.

I was told by the clerk at Enterprise that 90% of their rental income is from insurance co. referrals for collision repair. If that's true, then that explains their lack of customer service vs. the other car rental companies. Their customer is the insurance company, not you.

76winger

I don't know why they call them debit cards down there as they are not the same as a true debit card in Canada. When I was down there 2 weeks ago everyone said credit or debit card, so I would give them my debit card and they would say that's not a debit card. I said oh yes it is and they would say it has to have a visa or mc symbol on it. So to me that's connected to your visa or mc cards through your bank, os to me that's a glorified credit card. Not the same in Canada. Ours are true debit cards.
Lin

The plain debit cards you describe aren't around the U.S. as much any more. What most are now is somewhat of a hybrid. They still get recognized as a debit card due to some coding in the account number, and we still have to enter a PIN to process it as a Debit type transaction, which is then processed much like an ATM transaction.

But we also have the option to have the processed as a credit type transaction instead, which is why the Visa/Mastercard logo is on them. When the cards are processed as a Credit type transaction, you don't put in the PIN but sign for it instead (except some stores have minimum amounts where you don't have to sign either).

The benefit of using our Debit cards as a Credit transaction is that it's processed through the Visa/Mastercard systems and have the purchase and fraud protections of Visa or Mastercard that ATM type transactions don't have, yet the funds are still withdrawn from our checking accounts rather than adding to a credit account that later has to paid (and usually incurs interest if not paid right away).

flyitfast

Every Enterprise store is different. I have used Enterprise for many times over many years and have found them to be excellent. Lower prices than the "big three", nicer cars, great service, and least hassle. I joined their Priority Club (no cost, no fee) and it has made things much better. In airports I go thru their priority line and am next in line to get checked in. I use my own insurance and they never pressure me after that.
Sorry about all the problems everyone has had.
gordon

Last edited:

SDB777

You should have went out to the parking lot and did 'donuts' until the tires blew....then complained that the car almost killed you....

Scott (you don't carry a light bill? thought everyone does) B

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I post a review on their site and hear back with a request for information, maybe it will help. I guess what up set me most the issue with my card and his insistence that it was a debit card but never asked for a pin so he did in fact use it as a credit card.

Boss302

Enterprise used to get burned a lot on debit card rentals from people that didn't have the money in the linked account to cover additional Enterprise charges like damage or late returns. If you don't have supplemental insurance and return with a crashed car then they just charge your cc for the deductible. That doesn't always work with a debit card. Enterprise is really more of a used car company that rents cars. While it doesn't justify rude behavior or the hard sales pitch for supplemental insurance their sales people are generally over qualified because a college degree is required to be part of their management training program and almost all the sales people working for them are in this program.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Lin
Lin, we do have true debit cards here but most of them are treated like credit cards and are MC or Visa. But when you use them whether you say "Cash" or "Credit" it is deducted immediately from your bank account -- if you pay for something with it they will normally ask if you want additional cash.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Enterprise used to get burned a lot on debit card rentals from people that didn't have the money in the linked account to cover additional Enterprise charges like damage or late returns. If you don't have supplemental insurance and return with a crashed car then they just charge your cc for the deductible. That doesn't always work with a debit card. Enterprise is really more of a used car company that rents cars. While it doesn't justify rude behavior or the hard sales pitch for supplemental insurance their sales people are generally over qualified because a college degree is required to be part of their management training program and almost all the sales people working for them are in this program.
I'd question that a college degree "over qualifies" someone for a sales job. I have one and I sold both real estate and mobile homes and I worked in a used car rental agency. Unless you get involved in certain specific degree programs, colleges don't teach you much of what you need to know for successful sales. But, it is unfortunate but true that many companies hire college grads for jobs that can easily be filled by someone who never saw the inside of a college class room - I'm not sure why they do that but I suppose it is related to the myth that everyone should go to college.

workinforwood

Thats interesting. My body shop deals with my rental car, and it is through enterprise. I thought all body shops did that, they certainly should! Part of the service of repairing my car is giving me transportation. I drop off the car, the body shop already has the rental car called in and delivered right to the body shop, I sign the papers, I drive away. The body shop pays and insures the car and adds it to the insurance repair bill. For the one car I have that does not have rental insurance, just bare minimum, the body shop still gets me a car and when I pick up my car, they tack the rental bill on to my deductible I owe them. Maybe you need a different body shop.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thats interesting. My body shop deals with my rental car, and it is through enterprise. I thought all body shops did that, they certainly should! Part of the service of repairing my car is giving me transportation. I drop off the car, the body shop already has the rental car called in and delivered right to the body shop, I sign the papers, I drive away. The body shop pays and insures the car and adds it to the insurance repair bill. For the one car I have that does not have rental insurance, just bare minimum, the body shop still gets me a car and when I pick up my car, they tack the rental bill on to my deductible I owe them. Maybe you need a different body shop.
I worked for a used car rental agency for awhile and much of their business came through body shops that rented a car for their customers - also insurance companies would send their customers who had "rental car" insurance - the insurance companies usually told their clients not to buy the deductable insurance.

I'd question that a college degree "over qualifies" someone for a sales job. I have one and I sold both real estate and mobile homes and I worked in a used car rental agency. Unless you get involved in certain specific degree programs, colleges don't teach you much of what you need to know for successful sales. But, it is unfortunate but true that many companies hire college grads for jobs that can easily be filled by someone who never saw the inside of a college class room - I'm not sure why they do that but I suppose it is related to the myth that everyone should go to college.

When I first got out of the Navy back in '64, I was looking for work in Dallas area... every ad in the paper seemed to want a 4 year degree with 5 years experience and applicants under 25..?? I ultimately found a job with a firm that sold industrial greases as a billing clerk... just needed to know how to add/subtract, multiply and divide... after a year I went back to Calif and applied with an airlines... I was told that I was "over qualified" for a dish washing job, but hired anyway... after 5 months, transferred to ramp as a loader, then into the cargo office as an office clerk... I ultimately became a supervisor.... when I left the airlines I was hired by a forwarding company an their international agent & supervisor. I ran several companies that had multi-million dollar sales and never finished my college... I did get my AA degree while at the airlines, but never went back for the 4 year degree... My son did 2 classes at the Univ of Texas and decided college wasn't for him... today he owns his own company and is well on his way to becoming a millionaire.

Sometimes I think a college degree is overrated... not always as there are many technical fields that do need the additional education... would hate that my doctor just put up a shingle and called himself a doctor without the training.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

When I first got out of the Navy back in '64, I was looking for work in Dallas area... every ad in the paper seemed to want a 4 year degree with 5 years experience and applicants under 25..?? I ultimately found a job with a firm that sold industrial greases as a billing clerk... just needed to know how to add/subtract, multiply and divide... after a year I went back to Calif and applied with an airlines... I was told that I was "over qualified" for a dish washing job, but hired anyway... after 5 months, transferred to ramp as a loader, then into the cargo office as an office clerk... I ultimately became a supervisor.... when I left the airlines I was hired by a forwarding company an their international agent & supervisor. I ran several companies that had multi-million dollar sales and never finished my college... I did get my AA degree while at the airlines, but never went back for the 4 year degree... My son did 2 classes at the Univ of Texas and decided college wasn't for him... today he owns his own company and is well on his way to becoming a millionaire.

Sometimes I think a college degree is overrated... not always as there are many technical fields that do need the additional education... would hate that my doctor just put up a shingle and called himself a doctor without the training.
I got my BS when I was 44 years old and working as a test engineer. I got my degree in Political Science and all but about 40 or 50 of the 160 credits (that is semester hours too, not quarter hours) on my transcript were from independent study. I got the degree because I felt that I knew as much as most folks who had one.

I don't think there is any question that we have (in my opinion) become a nation of people who are over-schooled but under educated. I often find it difficult to believe that people can have a 4 year degree from a high priced University and still know so little of what everyone should have learned by 10th grade in high school.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I got my BS the very second i first got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.
Well there was a certain amount of my education was based on practical experienced....my mother told me if I did certain things it would "hurt" my hand or my bottom...and when I did them, sure enough it hurt my hand or my bottom, depending on how serious the infraction was. I had my degree from the school of hard knocks well before I got it from Excelsior College.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Our car is all finished so we took the rental car back. I have to say the folks at Enterprise were falling all over them self's being nice and making sure everything was just so. Would I rent from Enterprise again? No way their policies just don't make sense.

sbell111

I have an MBA and find that I use stuff that I learned during graduate school all the time, even all these years later. Could I have learned most of this stuff on the job? Probably. Still, I am glad that I made the decision to go to graduate school.

Last edited:
Top Bottom