Hobbies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think most of us older guys have had any number of hobbies - it would be interesting to know what all we've done....

My first hobby was collecting girl friends:biggrin:

Actually, my first real hobby was coin collecting - I started that just after getting married I collected modern coins until I had gotten all of the Lincoln Cents, Jefferson Nickels, Mercury dimes (I was one short) Washington Quarters and Franklin Halves. In those days you could find almost everything in circulation.

Next, I bred and raised Standardbred (Trotters and Pacers) race horses for a few years but had to give that up after the 5th and 6th kids came along - I had a good job but not good enough to afford both the kids and horses. This hobby makes pen turning look like chump change.

The third thing that was really a hobby was walking, I joined a walking organization and logged as many as 1500 miles a year for a few years. I still walk a lot but not nearly that much. Best thing about this was it was really affordable.

I then collected cast bank trucks...Only a couple a year but this held on for about 22 -23 years. Again it didn't cost a lot of money but finding room for them was a problem. At the same time I collected small cast cars - I gave these up when we moved into a mobile home and had no room.

Remodeling rooms in my house was really a hobby for me as well, I did all the work myself and truly enjoyed it - this went on for about 10 years when I ran out of rooms.

I had what some would call a hobby farm where we raised, Beef, hogs, lambs, turkeys, roasting chickens, laying chickens and kept a milk cow. We also made about 1000 bales of hay a year. I never really thought of this as a hobby because there was a lot of work.

Power boating was a hobby for a few years and to those who think this is expensive try boating where a $35K -$40K boat is just the down payment. And, it can "drink" 100 gallons of gas in a single afternoon along with slip fees, insurance maintenance ---- of course you also wind up getting GPS, Depth finder, Fish finder, Radio, half a dozen or so rods and reels, life jackets and on and on. Cost was about $10K per year with an Ocean Going boat. Could have been a lot more because mine was only a 24 footer.

I also collected toy soldiers and still have a small collection of them depicting the American Revolution.

Living where we do, we also collect a lot of sea shells - this is a hobby anyone can afford.

I also made cottage furniture until I got to the point where we didn't need any more in our house. That was fun and I suspect we have about 25 or so pieces that I made here in the house and probably another dozen or so pieces outside.

As a side to the above I like to make real and faux bird houses and we have them all over the place as well as giving dozens of them away.

I also did income tax preparation as a semi business and part hobby. I charged for some but did some for family and friends at no charge...I never did more than about 40 a year so it wasn't a real business although it always showed a profit.

I also collected 33 1/3 records and made a couple of amplifiers for playing them , two were kits but the third one was from scratch. Gave them up when we got to where we just didn't have room for them and my record changer broke so we had to play them one at a time.

So how about you.....

BSea

I also collected 33 1/3 records and made a couple of amplifiers for playing them , two were kits but the third one was from scratch. Gave them up when we got to where we just didn't have room for them and my record changer broke so we had to play them one at a time.

So how about you.....
Why did you stop collecting records after you got 33+ and what does 1/3 or a record look like? . . . . . . . . . . . . . :biggrin:JK, but I wonder what the under 30 crowd think when they read that.:confused:

Probably my most expensive hobby has been scuba diving. For awhile I was collecting vintage double hose regulators (think Sea Hunt). I have 7 of them, and I've used all but one of them at one time or another.

I've done some coin collecting, but never have completed any sets. For several years I'd buy the silver proof sets, but I stopped that a few years ago. I do have a $10 roll of each state quarter. Most are uncirculated.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

So how about you.....
Why did you stop collecting records after you got 33+ and what does 1/3 or a record look like? . . . . . . . . . . . . . :biggrin:JK, but I wonder what the under 30 crowd think when they read that.:confused:

Probably my most expensive hobby has been scuba diving. For awhile I was collecting vintage double hose regulators (think Sea Hunt). I have 7 of them, and I've used all but one of them at one time or another.

I've done some coin collecting, but never have completed any sets. For several years I'd buy the silver proof sets, but I stopped that a few years ago. I do have a $10 roll of each state quarter. Most are uncirculated.
Well it's somewhere between 1/4 of a record and 1/2 of a record.......:biggrin:

Ambidex

I'm a puppy compared to some here, but does anyone remember the bigger and slower records? I think they either were 16 1/2ths or perhaps 16 2/3rds..not making this up as my parents had a record player that would play 4 different speed records...from 78's, 45's, 33 1'3rds, and the 16 size. I believe it was an old Zenith if I remember correctly. As far as hobbies go my wife says she's never met anyone that's had a tenth of the hobbies I've had. I was taught as a child, life is short and don't regret not trying anything I found interesting. :wink:

Jim Burr

Banned
Started and finished a penny collection...even the steel ones, from 1909 VBS to date. Shooting, not collecting, although that does play into it :frown:. A lot of 3-gun competitions, 500 & 1,000 yrd as well as tactical shoots...reloading comes with the package.
Beer making is tons of fun as it goes well with my love of cooking. Milk stout, honey brown ale are a day away from the kegs. Used to do R/C planes but became kinda board. Play guitar at church as my schedule allows. Only have 3 guitars but it's a great hobby. Won't even get into the turning horor!!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm a puppy compared to some here, but does anyone remember the bigger and slower records? I think they either were 16 1/2ths or perhaps 16 2/3rds..not making this up as my parents had a record player that would play 4 different speed records...from 78's, 45's, 33 1'3rds, and the 16 size. I believe it was an old Zenith if I remember correctly. As far as hobbies go my wife says she's never met anyone that's had a tenth of the hobbies I've had. I was taught as a child, life is short and don't regret not trying anything I found interesting. :wink:
I remember record players having a 4th speed which as you said was about 16 or 16/2/3 rpm. The records for that were not usually music but were transcribed spoken records. That speed was used mainly for transcribed radio programs....They are not so old, having been introduced sometime in the 1950s when you could actually buy transcribed radio programs.

33 1/3 rpm are still around and still used by some disk jockeys on radio my understanding is that the sales of 33 1/3 rpm records have been increasing and actually a lot of new album are released on them as well as cds.

Kenny Durrant

I've raised pigeons, tropical fish, parakeets, pheasants and chickens along with keeping other animals. I collect U.S. Coins and paper money as well. I hunted and fished which started collecting a few guns and a lot of pocket knives. I did taxidermy for a few years but it took too much time so it faded out. I always enjoyed working with wood so when my wife's uncle showed me some pens he made that led to the addiction I have today. When I saw the snake skin blanks for the first time I had several skins from the taxidermy days and I became hook on casting. Now with the ideas from other pen turners I started a small stamp collection to add to my castings. Sometimes its a good reminder of the old hobbies when I cast the skins, coins,stamps and fishing flies. I also might add it all fun to me but it drives my poor wife nuts at times.

Bill Arnold

My primary hobby is woodworking. I've designed and built most of the furniture in our home. In addition to furniture, I've made many smaller items as gifts, etc. Penturning is a relatively new endeavor and has brought me to starting to try making my own acrylic blanks.

I've also enjoyed photography since I was a kid. My grandfather did a lot of photography and had his own darkroom, so I got the bug from him.

Cooking is something I've done all my life. I like to grill and have also been doing a lot of smoking of different meats for 20 years or so. I'm pretty darn good in the kitchen, too!

Last edited:

southernclay

Jim, 1,000 yards shooting is no joke! I've got a friend that has won at Camp Perry a few times, amazing amount of work and discipline.

I was huge into sports card collecting. Should've sold em while they were hot.

Made and collected southern pottery. Played the guitar a little. Like to shoot, fish, hunt and hike on occasion.

Then 3 years ago started having kids, two 15 mos apart so stayed a little foggy until a few months ago when I got my lathe and started turning.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jim, 1,000 yards shooting is no joke! I've got a friend that has won at Camp Perry a few times, amazing amount of work and discipline.

I was huge into sports card collecting. Should've sold em while they were hot.

Made and collected southern pottery. Played the guitar a little. Like to shoot, fish, hunt and hike on occasion.

Then 3 years ago started having kids, two 15 mos apart so stayed a little foggy until a few months ago when I got my lathe and started turning.
Tell me about that - my 4 daughters are 22 months from oldest to youngest Oct '69 to July '71.... to be fair, the youngest 2 are twins.

I did a little shooting and hunting too for about 37 years from age 12 to 49 never really thought of it as a hobby but I suppose it was. Put together a kit for a Hawkin .50 cal percussion cap muzzle loader and matching hand gun. I was a little better than a fair shot but never really got into long range shooting. I never lived anywhere where there was a range within reasonable distance. I had a lot of fun hunting woodchucks with my .357 Mag Ruger single action black hawk....

Last edited:

TBCbushings

I started collecting Hockey cards for awhile and then got into woodworking(Flat Work) I was in the CB(That's how we communicated before cell phones....hehe) world for a long time as well and then it happened....PENTURNING...And then I was really hooked......And that's about it.....

walshjp17

• As a kid, coin and stamp collecting
  • While in the Navy, running (until I blew out my knees and got fat:rolleyes:). Ran the Marine Corps Marathon in '82 in 3:29:29. Can't run a block now.
  • While the kids were young, Soccer: coaching them, playing in the over-30 league, running the local soccer club, refereeing and scheduling referees for adult leagues
  • Collecting small owl figurines (until we asked ourselves why?)
  • Cooking
  • Wine collecting (until I ran out of money and got drunk:rolleyes:)
  • Woodturning/pens
  • Traveling

Last edited:

flyitfast

For 50 years I collected paychecks, hoping to find a special one, but never did find one that was worth much............
I've also collected "gimmee" hats - close to 500. I've always loved the P-51 aircraft and have close to 60 die-cast models. Also, I've collected the complete Texaco set of die-cast corporate airplanes.
I have a lot of San Antonio Spurs souvenirs, especially the last week or so.
Mostly now, I collect tools, but my collection is far from complete!!! Sigh!!!
gordon

butchf18a

There's been a few, most of which I still do after 60 trips around the sun. Primary rule of life, "if bored its your own fault"

Designing, building, flying, competitive model airplanes.
Bicycle racing.
Sky diving.
Competitive aerobatics.
Photography
Backgammon (competitively but don't win all that often)
Geocaching
Wood working, jewelry boxes, backgammon boards, cribbage boards, cabinetry, marquetry, pen turning of course.
Music; percussion
Sports; Baseball, football, soccer, scuba, snorkel, run (1marathon but never again) mostly 5k's now
Competitive darts
Learned to fly, U.S. Marine fighter pilot, airlines, now fly private corporate jet (sitting in paris at the moment)

Somewhere in there I've managed to travel to all 50 states, over 30 countries, every continent except Antarctica. Most importantly raised two sons with same woman for 33 years. Guess by now I should be tired. I was once asked why I don't slow down? Frankly I Don't have the time.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
My wife says I've been collecting crap for years....:(

My most prized collection is the full set of Asterix and Obelix story annuals. Took me years to get them all....I love them. I even have several of the books without the comic pictures in them. :)

Jim Burr

Banned

Thanks Warren...it's fun to go shoot...tons of stress depending on the day...3 gun makes the BP climb the wall!! 1000yd...well, just take a deep breath, set the bipod and wait for the round to release...and then work on guitar stuff. Work to have fun!!

Jim Smith

As a kid, I collected coins for a number of years and still have those collections kicking around somewhere. Since then, I've gotten into stamp collecting and raising show rabbits (also rabbits for meat), jogging and working out. At the present, I enjoy, gardening, woodworking (including pen turning), building custom fishing rods (mainly fly rods), fly tying, fly fishing, and I also have five Honduran Milk Snakes that I keep as pets and plan to breed next year. I have been accused of having the hobby of collecting hobbies.

Jim Smith

gimpy

Right out of high school, I became a volunteer fire fighter for for 30 years.....
at the age of 24, I got married and tried that for 20 years, didn't work out.....
remarried and on my 13th year of my 2nd marriage, working out much better.....
Making wine, still have 80 gallon ready to rack and bottle,
retired at age 50........
been turning wood and flat work ever since..........
Not sure what I want to be when I grow up........

in my youth, Plastic model building, mostly cars and war birds
then deer Hunting, Black Powder Rifles and Archery.
Joined the Military in '91 (Signed up couple of days after the first wave of Operation Desert Storm.) Shortly after got into Paintball. played that for a couple of years after leaving the Army. Then back into Archery; Field and 3-D. then concentrated in making Custom Wood Arrows and English Longbows. No money in that so I got a chance to follow a dream in Stand Up Comedy. Car died so I sold off most of my arrow building tools bought a lathe and that is pretty much it.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Making wine, still have 80 gallon ready to rack and bottle,
retired at age 50........
been turning wood and flat work ever since..........
Not sure what I want to be when I grow up........

Sir!! We need to chat! 12 gallons of beer with 5 in the bucket tomorrow!!

dwarmbrodt

Building custom spinning and fly rods. Right now gluing up some birch bark for a grip. May wrap a guide or two tonight....

Fireengines

I collect model fire apparatus, helicopters, and large scale construction equipment.

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 173
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 155
  • fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 140
  • fire4.jpg
    fire4.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 140

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I started collecting Hockey cards for awhile and then got into woodworking(Flat Work) I was in the CB(That's how we communicated before cell phones....hehe) world for a long time as well and then it happened....PENTURNING...And then I was really hooked......And that's about it.....
About the timeI was ready to get a cb the bottom fell out of that .....

kingkeyman

I raced motocross untill I was 38, I repaired guitars for several years. I used to restore shopsmiths, I still have 4. I have a 64 Catalina convertible that I love to drive and tinker with, I guess that's a hobby. I really miss the motocross, but at 46, I can't deal with more broken bones.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I raced motocross untill I was 38, I repaired guitars for several years. I used to restore shopsmiths, I still have 4. I have a 64 Catalina convertible that I love to drive and tinker with, I guess that's a hobby. I really miss the motocross, but at 46, I can't deal with more broken bones.
I had a 65 Bonneville Convertible for about 15 years (from 86 to 2001)....loved to drive that car.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Oh and then everyone thanks you for doing it!:biggrin::biggrin:
I enjoy it so much I did 4 tournament games saturday and 2 Sunday and will do the championship game tonight for the 9-11 year old softball Allstars games.

studioseven

In no particlar order:

Running
Raquetball
Woodworking
Gardening
Collect banks
Collect Beer Steins
Collect Duck Decoys
Bicycling - Long Distance
Photography

It's too long a list because I don't have time for all of them

Seven

OKLAHOMAN

Look at my avatar!!!, I have had and built in the last 30 years into a street rod a 1928 Dodge 4 Dr sedan, 29 ford 2 dr sedan,32 ford roadster,48 Ford coupe,41Chevy Coupe, and am in the process of building the 36 2 door Chevy sedan in my avatar. I also now have a 65 Chevelle, had a 72 Hurst Olds, 65 Mustang convertible,56 Ford Crown Victoria.
All the rods except the roadster had 350 Chevy motors, automatic transmissions and air. The car I regret selling the most was the 29 Ford 2 Dr. sedan, no the 72 Hurst, no the 32 roadster:rolleyes::biggrin:
The 36 Chevy will be the last, just getting to old and stiff towork on them and have to send most work out to be done, plus just don't have the room anymore when we moved into town and I gave up my 30x50 shop.

Top Bottom