Engraved Owl on a Goose Egg Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

This began as a life drawing of a rescued owl in pencil on a dyed goose egg:

Glad to show the steps if there is interest.

Yes, I now keep eggs and pencils with me when I go field sketching - nice portable "canvases".

I'm still puzzled about which came first - owl or goose or egg.

I posted the "rehearsal" for this technique here:

Happy Friday to all - BobView attachment 219851View attachment 219851

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

That is really really cool. My first though was of being watched form another dimension.

You could answer the question of which came first by doing a chick about to hatch and waiting to see what happens...........or maybe a little dinosaur.šŸ‰

Sly Dog

That's amazing. Your creations are always - what's the word I'm looking for - amazing! Count me in as one who is interested in seeing the steps.

Russ

Bob in SF

Many thanks for the kind comments!!

Russ requested the steps.

Tony - Yes, 2 layers of UV cured resin.

Steps:
Goose egg dyed thoroughly using blue + black mix of Ukrainian pysanky egg dye.
Life drawing done of a rescued owl using a mechanical pencil - minimal lines.
Engraving done with a high speed pneumatic Vortex F5+ carver (foot pedal-controlled), but a Dremel also works; CA Airtools Quiet Flow 1610SPQ air compressor.
Painted with hand made acrylic paints made by mixing tiny amounts of raw pigment with Golden brand airbrush medium, hand-brushed in multiple thin layers.
Egg sealed with 2 layers of Krylon spray, dried x 3 days.
Spalted tamarind pedestal turned with a Magic Skew, detailed with a carbide detailer; not sanded.
Egg centered and epoxied onto the pedestal.
Pre-warmed Alumilite UV resin brushed onto the (gently pre-warmed) egg-and-pedestal ; pre-warming seems to eliminate resin bubbling tendency.
Resin cured with a 250 watt (www.cureuv.com) UV flood lamp that operates within the ideal range of 365 nanometers; 2 exposures of 30 seconds each, 15minutes apart, at a distance of 3-4"; 2 coatings to harden well, and to add depth and gloss.
Finished with a Ruth Niles brass insert and stainless steel stopper fitting:

Hope this helps.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Bob in SF

Martin and Jay - Many thanks!

Gratefully - Bob

(Graduating to Emu eggs this week now that the working method is repeatable - they're too big for stoppers, but they weren't laid in vain. I've taken a long stopper detour, but I'll get back to pens ASAP)

Top Bottom