END OF YEAR PITH STATISTICS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fireangels

The number of people signing up for this PITH is great and has to be on the verge of an all-time record
We are 171 strong so far let's keep it up :)
If you haven't signed up yet please do still plenty of room and time for everyone to join the fun :eek:
No matter what your skill level it's all about creativity and fun :handshake:

Keep reading this thread I will post some other stats later :bananen_smilies035:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Last year had 186 in total sign up. Now a percentage of those never actually sent anything:mad::mad::mad:, but 186 signed up. I'm sure we won't have that percentage this time around. RIGHT???:eek::wink::biggrin:

Last edited:

Timebandit

Last year had 186 in total sign up. Now a percentage of those never actually sent anything:mad::mad::mad:, but 186 signed up. I'm sure we won't have that percentage this time around. RIGHT???:eek::wink::biggrin:

I hope not. Because if i dont get a pen from the person im supposed to(unless there is a good reason of course), i will be very discouraged for participating again:mad::frown:

seamus7227

Yeah, thats not cool people, if i make a Tru-Quarter™ blank for the trade portion, I hope my trade partner doesnt take it and run without at least making a pen!:rolleyes:

paintspill

the last pith (pine) was my first and every thing went smoothly (minus the postal strike) but i have to say i was amazed at how many people stepped up and made pens for the folks that got shafted. my hats off to them, unfortunately i don't know them by name but they know who they are and i hope they take a moment to pat themselves on the back. i also hope those that were disappointed with their experience will give it another try.

i had my great moment a while ago when someone asked me how far my pens have gone and i could proudly say that i have a pen in texas.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
The people that didn't send a pen last time are not allowed to participate again. So no worries about those folks. But there will probably be a few more people to step in and take their place.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The people that didn't send a pen last time are not allowed to participate again. So no worries about those folks. But there will probably be a few more people to step in and take their place.

Unfortunately there always seems to be a few.:frown:

penmaker1967

the piths are fun and a learning experence when u use a material that u have never used before. you should let someone who wont fullfill their end of sending a pen to their partner to let you not join the fun again. there is always someone on here who would step up for the person who didnt but like some had said here before it is not the same as the person who was suppose to send one out. glad there is people here that are willing to help for any reason. hats off to those people and to the people who are now and have in the past do the pith. never have done one myself but it does have to be alot of hard work not only in getting it ready but handling all the problems that come up during before and after the swap has been completed. thanks again to those people.

Last edited:

Justturnin

I just participated in my first exchange on another forum (creek) and it was an amazing experience. I have made my share of pens but I am still less than 50 total and getting my hands on a pen from someone more experienced was a treat. I really makes you work hard at getting yours perfect and makes you step up to the next level. I can't wait for the release of teams so I can get to turnin one out.

lorbay

I just participated in my first exchange on another forum (creek) and it was an amazing experience. I have made my share of pens but I am still less than 50 total and getting my hands on a pen from someone more experienced was a treat. I really makes you work hard at getting yours perfect and makes you step up to the next level. I can't wait for the release of teams so I can get to turnin one out.

Why wait??? does it matter who you have for a partner.??? I have mine ready to go.

Lin.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Why wait??? does it matter who you have for a partner.??? I have mine ready to go.

Lin.
Thank you for the support! To customize something for your partner is good but do not wait until the end to make it happen. Sometimes "stuff" happens and can mess with a deadline that seems far off at the time.

Last edited:

GoodTurns

I have a special display box for all of my received PITH pens, and every one is exceptional in it's own way....I have been paired with "novices" to experts and every one of their pens is a treasure... play along, it's good.

Drstrangefart

Yeah, I was a little worried, as I don't do any high-end kits and pretty much work exclusively with Slims due to cost, and don't wanna feel like I ripped someone off. That being said, I do have a spiffy idea I may try out.

bitshird

I have a special display box for all of my received PITH pens, and every one is exceptional in it's own way....I have been paired with "novices" to experts and every one of their pens is a treasure... play along, it's good.

Same here, I even got a scratch built pen from an Australian swap, and the pen I got this last time just blew me away.

Yeah, I was a little worried, as I don't do any high-end kits and pretty much work exclusively with Slims due to cost, and don't wanna feel like I ripped someone off. That being said, I do have a spiffy idea I may try out.

Man we keep trying to tell people IT'S NOT THE KIT, IT'S WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT.

ctubbs

I'll have to sit this one out. I am working on upgrading my lathe with a VFD and it is all in pieces. One word of advice, do not try to get too far out of your abilities. The last one let me overload my hummingbird posterior with my alligator brain. First segment, first cigar, first metal segments, the list of first go on. I, however, did finally get my pen out. Not exactly as pictured in my mind, but it did get shipped and received. If my lathe ever runs again, I'll be in the next one! The pens I received from my partner were outstanding and way before the deadline. Thanks to Landon and all the others that jumped in to help out.
Charles

HSTurning

I may be joining still but I have to clean first and this is a busy time of the year for the family so I dont know if I will be able to get the time to clean and turn. I have been in 2 and really liked the pen(s) from the last one. The first one I was in wasn't as good of a time. I had to chase the person with e-mail after e-mail. I think they joined just for the PITH and have not been back since. I did the best I could for my ablity both times.
I almost didn't join again and was very happy with the way the last one went. The last one I was in I hurt myself just before the rules got put up and needed a little extra time and was lucky to have a understanding partner.

Justturnin

lorbay;1279645 Why wait??? does it matter who you have for a partner.??? I have mine ready to go. Lin.[/quote said:
It does not matter but I dont want to send a Pen I already have. I like to make it then.

fireangels

Its all about the craftsmans effort not the price in this case
it is better to give your best rather than recieve the most expensive

fireangels

Still going strong stats are high still need more people that havent signed up yet we only have 20 days left for sign-ups dont wait till the last minute.

Man we keep trying to tell people IT'S NOT THE KIT, IT'S WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT.

That is so true but sadly you get some people in the pen crafting fraternity that I call FIGJAMS and think the high price of the kit is the be all and end all of pen crafting. Instead allowing the timber, acrylic or what ever you use to enhance a kit used. I have received high end pens to slim lines in pen swaps and all are treasured. The most treasured is a Sierra from a novice turner, had been turning pens for 2 weeks and was their first ever pen swap. Looking forward to this.

bensoelberg

In the last swap, I received a pen that was built around a slim line. When the maker posted it, it got the most positive reviews of any of the other pens that were posted during the swap. I used it again today and every time I took it out of my pocket, somebody asked about it and wanted to hold it and try it out for themselves. So, like others have said, the kit isn't nearly as important as what you do with it!!

fireangels

End OF YEAR PITH STATISTICS

We have almost 200 people signed up we need just a few more so contact anyone you havent seen in a while and tell them to get in here not much time left to get in....tic toc tic toc

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Come on people!!! Rock the Vote!!! You're just a few mouse clicks away from being part of The Last Hoorah for 2011. You may get one of those special edition Hillbilly Pens valued at over $3,000:eek:.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
wood

Hmmmm....wood is the theme - does that mean I can cut 6 inches off my puppydog's favorite stick and send it along as the blank. (Now before you get it wrong this would not be the end of the rockin' chair rocker that she cut her teeth on - or the corner of my leather recliner that my daughters puppy cut her teeth on)

firewhatfire

I am one of the newer turners here on the site. I started tuning in March of this year and participated in the the last PITH (PINE). I have the honor of owning the coordinator of this PTIH(fireangels) very first segmented pen. I have it put away and take it out every now and then for some inspiration. So after looking at his I decided I could make a segmented pen also and now have all kind of ideas floating around. You never know who you will inspire with what you make.

So join in and prepare to be inspired for future designs.

Thanks James for taking the lead.

Phil

fireangels

:bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039:

WE MADE 200
:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:

phillywood

the last pith (pine) was my first and every thing went smoothly (minus the postal strike) but i have to say i was amazed at how many people stepped up and made pens for the folks that got shafted. my hats off to them, unfortunately i don't know them by name but they know who they are and i hope they take a moment to pat themselves on the back. i also hope those that were disappointed with their experience will give it another try.

i had my great moment a while ago when someone asked me how far my pens have gone and i could proudly say that i have a pen in texas.

Do you for sure know that those people got shafted or the ones that couldn't fulfill their commitment had a good reason?

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I can see 250
easily!!

Everybody wins in this free event!!!!!
Besides I heard Seamus is working on something never seen before:eek::biggrin::eek:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Do you for sure know that those people got shafted or the ones that couldn't fulfill their commitment had a good reason?

Rant mode on!!!!Okay folks, this struck a nerve with me so feel free to just skip this post if you care to not hear it.

I respectfully submit that to a point the reason for the not completing the swap was irrelevant. Yes, "life" happens to us all. The difference is communication. I have plenty of documentation to support my claim that in nearly (I think all) every case, the folks, did indeed, get shafted. Whatever the reason, at the point the person quit communicating and decided it was just "okay" to not work something out, is where the said "shafting" began. I personally sent out 6 pens to those same folks so they would not feel so left out. I also had a great group of folks step up and send out even more pens. Now for the one or so who feel there reason was justified I guess I'm sorry you feel that way. There is no way it is statistically likely to have that many "emergencies" within that size group. There was a sufficient time frame to work something out for all involved. I offered to and did help with numerous cases of "communication issues" where I relayed info between folks that seemed to not be able to communicate with each other. At no point did anyone tell me directly----"Landon, I just cannot complete my trade because of reason xxx" Instead what I got were lots of promises to deliver and lots of those promises broken. Some owned up to their mistakes and completed their swaps, albeit significantly passed the deadline, but completed then none the less. Others just abandoned the site all together, while others still have visited the site regularly but still have not offered to do the right thing. Hell if anyone would have asked, I would have turned the damn thing for them on their behalf if they truly had an emergency and had stayed in communication, that would have not been much of an issue. Now lets get on to the future. Anyone who thinks I was referring to them and wants to discuss it, my PM is always open and I check it regularly. Okay all, rant mode off. Thanks for reading to those who did.

Landon

PenPal

I am in full accord with Seamus have designed my swap to be unique however I will communicate with my swap partner personally often by phone to establish how to complete the surprise. I also like one blank in addition to the pen from where I live freight over 500 grams attracts a levy of an additional nearly 10.00 dollars taking the sending cost so much higher.

All my pens sent have been Slimlines or Streamlines, I must confess having a feeling of inadequacy drawing Ed Brown in one swap however we formed a great friendship and joyful swapping.

Congrats to the organisers and supporters who like Landon have the courage to back up again. Fireangels organising will be also tested as was Landons only us who enter can assist
them.

Have fun I will.

Kind regards Peter.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
lorbay;1279645 Why wait??? [COLOR=Red said:
does it matter who you have for a partner.???[/COLOR] I have mine ready to go.

Lin.

It does not matter but I dont want to send a Pen I already have. I like to make it then.

Me neither that's why I made one for this person only. Whom ever he or she may be.

Lin.
This topic keeps popping up. Regardless of the method I am using to pair the names, it really would not matter if you knew it or not because the list in in constant change as new members join. I'm not trying to keep any huge secret here folks. I simply want the pairings to be a surprise. There is plenty of time to contact your partners to get info in regards to customizing the pen to them. In case it has been forgotten, I do make pens(not as nice as some of you) and I do know there are certain things that can be started on without being to the point where your knowing your partner matters. My whole point of saying not to wait to get started is simply so you do not fail to finish if "something" comes up and you get pressed for time.

Landon

penmaker1967

i have ordered the pen kit for this event. i am waiting on it to come in then i am going to get started on it. i am going to try some new this time and hope i can make it work.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
We're edging closer to the 250 mark. Don't miss out people. This will be your last opportunity for a swap in 2011!!! It doesn't matter whom you get paired with. You're still going to put 100% into making that pen. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!!!

It's Gonna Be A Good One!

gingerwood

I've already got a pen turned and ready to go, not because I don't want to personalize it, but because I turn in an unheated garage in MN, and by the time I get my name it may well be too cold to turn.

Top Bottom