End Grain Cutting Boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Santa has been busy in the workshop again :biggrin: Five end grain cutting boards. Three of them are maple/cherry and the two smallest ones are cherry.

The boards have finger pulls routed in them on the top and bottom surface so they are full reversible.

Thanks for looking.

1_ACT_691837.jpg

1_ACT_691736.jpg

1_ACT_691635.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Those look very nice. The only thing that would make one of the look better, is if it were in my kitchen. :)

What kind of glue and finish do you use on your cutting boards?

Thanks

Tim

ahoiberg

awesome keith. i've got a few questions if you will (i just bought some wood to make one of those suckers)...

1) did you run all the pieces through a jointer twice? or how did you get those nice, tight joints?

2) if so, how did you run those little pieces through the jointer?

thanks and whomever ends up with those is a lucky devil!

VisExp

What kind of glue and finish do you use on your cutting boards?

Tim, normally when gluing up wood I use Titebond II, but for these I use Titebond III because of it's water resistant qualities. The finish on these is Butcher Block Mineral Oil. I've used Salad Bowl Finish on cutting boards before but decieded to try the mineral oil this time because of its ease of repair.

awesome keith. i've got a few questions if you will (i just bought some wood to make one of those suckers)...

Andrew, I did not use my jointer making these. I make the cuts on my table saw and use a Forest Woodworker blade. It gives me a fine enough cut for a glue up.

I just got done posting an article with pictures on my blog showing how I made these. You can check it out at:

http://syzygypens.com/blog/

If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks for the comments.

byounghusband

Keith,
Sweet cutting boards. I did one of those last year. I did glue the board together in 3 sections, 8 pieces each like you mentioned in your blog and that was a beating!! :beat-up:

I also had to add cauls on top and bottom as I glued them up to keep them from rising up as the glue dried. I don't have a drum sander, and since sanding endgrain is another beating, I ran the board through my planer. :eek: Yeah I know endgrain and planers don't mix, but it did just fine....:bashful: I did the 1/4" round over like you did, but did not do the finger pull. I like that idea and will do it next time I do one.

I used the same finish on mine and it does need a touch up periodically....

Skye

Very good choice of woods, being that they're not typically problematic with allergies. I really like the use of the heartwood/sapwood to give the tiger stripe look. Also the finger grips on the side are a great idea!

Dusty

Nice job on the boards Keith, I also like the finger grip idea that you used. they will make someone happy. Thanks for showing them off. Keep up the good work.
Dusty

Top Bottom