Email junk-mail and computer crime

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

In this thread,
Deceit, Dave Bledsoe posted this:
... I get probably 50-75 e-mails every day that are pure junk at best, and attempted robbery at worst....

I didn't want to hijack George's thread, but the sentence above caused me to react with:
(a) that's just too much spam which suggests the email service provider being used stinks at their job. So much of the regularly targeted spam is easy to capture and filter out and Dave or anyone else shouldn't see that much daily spam -- unless they're the E-mail Admin and seeing it all.
(b) as computer crime grows--and it will only continue to grow--maybe there ought to be a subforum on this site wherein experienced individuals can offer tried and true resources to those who use their computer the way it's been configured (or not) for them and have security, email spam, or virus concerns.

When one person is a weak security link; many are at risk. It's the way it works. That is:
If you "know" me and you "trust" me and I'm not savvy, I'm a transport for those targeting you.

I'm just thinkin' out loud; wondering what others think of the idea?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

I get an average of 350 emails a day but my spam filter only lets 10-15 through. That is a lot of junk out there that people do need to be careful about. Any experience that can be passed along to us electronically illiterate would always be appreciated.

PTsideshow

What still drives me nuts is the foreign language emails mostly Russian asking why I won't correspond with Wanda,Latessa etc. bad grammar and half english/russian spelling in the subject line. It has dropped off in numbers from the good ol days, but still clean the spam locker twice aday! :rolleyes:
:clown:

W.Y.

I used to get tons of email spam until I installed Mailwawsher. Now it's just an occasional one. Not a single mail comes into my regular email inbox before it comes in to Mailwasher first where I can blacklist the spam and bounce it back and then bring the good mail into my inbox for processing .
Can't bounce with the free version but the price of the full version is well worth it to me.
My windows 7 mail client (Windows Live Mail) has a bounce feature but it simply does not work at all for me.
Mailwasher does take a period of "training" it for good and bad mail . Some spam needs to be bounced a few times before they give up but I figure if they are going to send me their junk , they might as well as get it back and see what a nuisance it is to get spam from me instead of the other way around. Being persistent in bouncing it back to them results in them removing me from their mailing list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom