Elk antler S&P mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Monty

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Picked up this elk antler a few months ago with the intention of making bottle stoppers out of it. After looking at it for a while and seeing how straight the main shaft was, I decided to try a salt and pepper mill.
The salt mill is 6" tall and the pepper mill is 9" tall.

Attachments

• Elk antler 002.jpg
    Elk antler 002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 243
  • S&P.jpg
    S&P.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

My first thought was "Long Bow riser!" the salt and peper mills look great! It's not often you see one with that strait a mian tine.

sumterdad

Who would of thought you would find antlers in antique shop. Very nice! If you are not sure what you are gonna do with them send them down here till you do:biggrin:

bitshird

Manny those are great, that had to be one large Bull Elk to have antlers that big, but I've never seen one with the beam that straight, what a neat fluke of nature.

Rick P

Who would of thought you would find antlers in antique shop. Very nice! If you are not sure what you are gonna do with them send them down here till you do:biggrin:

Old Taxidermy mounts are a great source for antler and can often be had cheap at antique stores or garage sales. I tie fishing flies as well and there are some materials that can only be had from old taxidermy mounts.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Actually it's a combo antique store and resale shop in Gruene, TX.

that's really cool!!!!! did it present any challenges when you drilled it out?

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner
It was very close for the inset for the mechanism, no problem on the main bore. The challenge was getting enough CA in the marrow of the top to harden it to be able to cut the tenon, it was so porous it was difficult to kept from running out the bottom.

Top Bottom