Electro Static painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

It must have been about two lifetimes ago that I was managing a resin casting operation and we were making hot pads. They were 8 inches or so diameter will filligree designs, lots of open space and cast in a heat resistant resin compound. A paint salesman introduced me to electro static painting. I remember him saying that with normal painting it cost the same to paint bicycle spokes as car doors because of the overspray. With ES you only spray the spokes, not the space in between. Around here we know a similar technology as powder coating.

There have been many discussion here about powder coating cartridges. But the application I was familiar with long ago started by applying a clear coat of a liquid finish with a polarizable solvent. This was an undercoating for a tough heat resistant liquid top coat that applied negatively charged atomized paint to the grounded hot pads. The hot pads accepted a charge because they were undercoated with the polarized clear coat. The finish air dried and it was tough enough to withstand a hot skillet over and over.

I'm researching using this technology for coating pens. I saw a company at a home show who I believe was selling home painting using electrostatic technology. I'm looking for someone who is more up to speed on modern applications of liquid electrostatic painting. Is there a reason why we aren't using ES on pens? Maybe some people are?

Top Bottom