Ebony Vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marcruby

marcruby

Unfortunately this will be the last Macassar Ebony vessel I ever make. I reacted so strongly to the wood that I've decided to put off fatal lung disease for another decade or two. But vessels are my true love, and I really like the way this turned out.

Marc

Attachments

• Bloodwood&Ebony.jpg
    Bloodwood&Ebony.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 204
  • Bloodwood&EbonySide.jpg
    Bloodwood&EbonySide.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Wow, I really like that. Very cool that the top isnt the same size as the rest of it.

Too bad about the reaction. You may want to check into what other woods are related to Macassar Ebony if you react that badly to it.

MarkHix

Georgeous! I love the wood choices and the shape. It is unfortunate that you have had to make that decision. Please tell us some more about the bowl; size and finish.

ldb2000

I love that bowl , the bloodwood and ebony go great together .
Too bad about your reaction to the ebony , it's a great wood to work with but your health comes first

louisbry

Marc, very beautiful indeed! Wish I could see it in person. It is too bad about your reaction. Let's hope that these reaction are limited to just a few wood types.

marcruby

Butch wins the 'what's that other wood?' contest. It is indeed bloodwood. And the finial is actually blackwood, not ebony. It's about 6" wide and a 4.25" high including the finial.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Absolutely beautiful. Many woods are related to ebony and many others give allergic reactions to many people. I would suggest you try to find protective measures instead of giving up on this, or other woods.

Skye

Butch wins the 'what's that other wood?' contest. It is indeed bloodwood. And the finial is actually blackwood, not ebony. It's about 6" wide and a 4.25" high including the finial.

You know, I would bet that most people are more likely to be allergic to the bloodwood than the ebony. Are you sure it's not the bloodwood giving you the fit?

marcruby

It was definitely the ebony. The reaction wasn't just my lungs, but skin and eyes as well - despite wearing a mask it came on suddenly and was a complete surprise. A borrowed industrial mask stopped the congestion, but not the skin irritation. I wound up turning it for about 15 minutes a day and then taking an immediate shower.

I'm mildly allergic to some Dalbergias (rosewood and cocobolo) but nothing like this. And I've never reacted to ebony before. I have heard that the black and white ebonies are less likely to cause problems. Go figure. That was an expensive piece of wood - I think I'll wait 10 years and then experiment then.

Marc

You know, I would bet that most people are more likely to be allergic to the bloodwood than the ebony. Are you sure it's not the bloodwood giving you the fit?

Last edited:
My test of a bowl is, after it catches your eye do you want to pick it up and touch it.
Besides being terrific eye candy, this has the touchability factor in spades!

Marc,
That is one stunning vessel!! Again, too bad on the reactions. I react to cocobolo, not breathing, but my eyes swell up if I turn more than one pen at a time. I have to rinse my eyes out after turning it, now.

angelofdeath

Marc, That is like everyone is saying a great combination of woods. I love the finish you put on the vessle. Sorry about the reaction you had to the wood. Health first. wow...still amazed at the finish

Top Bottom