Ebonite question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarod888

Interesting question. Being that ebonite is essentially vulcanized rubber, I wonder if the ca would eat it or make it sticky? I'm actually thinking the accelerator may be a bigger problem than the ca. Acetone and heptane, depending on the accelerator you are using, generally don't play well with rubber. I'm thinking your best bet is to try it on a relatively "full size" piece. That way if it starts breaking it down, you can just turn away the "mess" and still have a usable piece.

EricRN

Just my two cents—I realize others may disagree, and that's OK. But I'm not sure why anyone would want to put a CA finish on ebonite. The deep lustrous shine of ebonite is one of my favorite things about it vs the glassy look of CA. I also find that ebonite is much warmer and more comfortable in the hand than CA. If the shiny, glass-like look is what your trying to pull out of the ebonite, why not just use acrylic instead?

carlmorrell

Ebonite is one of my favorites. It's feel is unmatched. Any finish is heresy :)
IMG_3086.JPG

FGarbrecht

Not sure of you point either. This thread is about potential finishes on ebonite. Are you suggesting an urushi finish is appropriate over ebonite?
Yes. As Curly points out, ebonite is commonly finished with urushi, or nothing at all. I put urushi on 100% of my ebonite pens, and about 80% of my wooden ones as well. I can send you some links if you are interested, or just search on here to see the pens @Pierre, @Teodor, @manupropria and others make.

lphoto

Yes. As Curly points out, ebonite is commonly finished with urushi, or nothing at all. I put urushi on 100% of my ebonite pens, and about 80% of my wooden ones as well. I can send you some links if you are interested, or just search on here to see the pens @Pierre, @Teodor, @manupropria and others make.
How would a person get started with Urushi? There seems to be very limited information out there, at least that is publicly available, at least in my searches.

Penchant 4

I would be interested in such links, if you would not mind sending them.

Penchant 4

At the top of pretty much every page is the search box. Select it and where it says Members put in one of their names and enter. A list of every thread, post or picture shows up.

Pete
Pete,

I am familiar with that option. The urushi work posted on this site is truly beautiful and amazing (as is most all of the work posted, urushi or not).

My apologies for being too vague in my original reply. It is information on the actual urushi process and possible sources that I seek.

Thanks for the reminder.

Fred Bruche

Pete,

I am familiar with that option. The urushi work posted on this site is truly beautiful and amazing (as is most all of the work posted, urushi or not).

My apologies for being too vague in my original reply. It is information on the actual urushi process and possible sources that I seek.

Thanks for the reminder.
I believe this is Teodor YouTube channel, plenty of information about the processes involved.

TonyL

Yes. I just did. I believe it adds depth and durability to the shine. I posted it about 4 weeks ago. Let me see if a can find the link. Please note, I did finish ebonite as I do all my pens, then added 10 coats of CA. I actually started using CA on 9 of 10 of my pen (then polish and shine again). It adds 15 mines and I like the look.

TonyL

I did that a few weeks ago. Fully polished, then applied CA.

Attachments

• Ebonite with CA exceutive.jpg
    Ebonite with CA exceutive.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom