ebay UserNames

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

When buying pen blanks and stuff in ebay I often wonder if the seller (or another bidder) is another IAP family member. It would be interesting to find out what IAP members use as Usernames in ebay.

My ebay username is "Collegebooks"

Care to share your username?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jssmith3

Hi Al, I rarely buy from ebay now that I have become a member of IAP. I try to buy from the sellers here instead. If I do buy something on ebay I try to buy the "buy it now" option so I am not bidding against someone else from this site. I know there have been situations on this forum where someone has outbid someone else at the last minute who also belongs to the forum and there have been bad feelings. I have a lot of respect for the forum members and I feel that I can put a request for a specific type of wood here and someone will direct me to a source without any hurt feelings ( I hope :)
Janet :)

Rifleman1776

No doubt there are members from here and TPS who sell blanks on eBay. But, I have to wonder, why go to eBay at all for blanks when members of both these forums sell such a great variety of quality blanks at, often, bargain prices?

myname1960

I do not understand why there would be bad feelings with someone here if other members were bidding on the same thing on ebay. Thats what ebay is all about being an auction and bidding. The only way i would be upset is if someone did it on purpose just because they knew i wanted the item real bad and they just wanted to mess with me.

If i placed a bid on something first and it was what several other members here wanted would it be fair of me to want other members not to bid on it because i wanted it. I dont think so. There is so much wood out there to even worry about it. If you dont see it today just look tomorrow or as you mentioned put in a request for it here.

Here on the IAP all offerings are mostly of the Buy It Now option with few bidding type auctions going on from what i can tell. I dont buy as much here as i like too because the lots usually are limited or by the time i see the offerings they are already gone. Thats life as i see it.

I commend you for not wanting to step on anyones toes or hurt their feelings but again its an auction so i dont see any problem with bidding too if its something you want. But this is just my 2 cents tossed into the hat.

myname1960

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />No doubt there are members from here and TPS who sell blanks on eBay. But, I have to wonder, why go to eBay at all for blanks when members of both these forums sell such a great variety of quality blanks at, often, bargain prices?

I agree there are many quality blanks at bargin prices here but not usually enough to go to all who want them. I miss out on some great deals here because stock is limited or they are gone before i see them.

I have gotten some great deal off of ebay too which is why i still go there as well. Usually if i cant find something here i can find it there.

I do admit that i seem to trust the sellers more here then i do on ebay but i have also cherrypicked a few great sellers too which i still buy from. I will continue to order from both places but that seems to work for me.

DocStram

Gerry and others ..... I really didn't start this post because I was worried about bidding against other IAP members. My original intent was just out of curiousity. Sometimes when I'm thinking about bidding on blanks in ebay I wonder if the seller is a penturner and if he/she is a member of IAP. It's really no big deal. But, I would tend to trust a seller's description of their blanks if I knew they belonged to IAP.
Actually, I buy my blanks from a variety of sources, including IAP sellers, ebay, and the commercial enterprises.
Thanks for raising an interesting point.

when it comes to bidding on ebay- whether it be against any fellow IAP members or what-- you better take off your Milkbone underwear b/c its a dog-eat-dog world on eBay LOL

(my apologies or kudoes to Norm :eek:)

thetalbott4

I am an Ebay seller and would like to advise everyone on one important point. Most auction prices get out of hand because people get caught up in the auction "frenzy" and they end up paying way more than item is worth. Establish what you are willing to pay for an item and bid that. If it is exceeded by someone else, then so be it. Doesnt matter if they are IAP guys or not. If a set of blanks is worth more to you than it is to me, than you should be welcome to them. Just keep in mind what an item is worth to you and dont go overboard.

Pipes

Originally posted by myname1960
<br />I do not understand why there would be bad feelings with someone here if other members were bidding on the same thing on ebay. Thats what ebay is all about being an auction and bidding. The only way i would be upset is if someone did it on purpose just because they knew i wanted the item real bad and they just wanted to mess with me.

If i placed a bid on something first and it was what several other members here wanted would it be fair of me to want other members not to bid on it because i wanted it. I dont think so. There is so much wood out there to even worry about it. If you dont see it today just look tomorrow or as you mentioned put in a request for it here.

Here on the IAP all offerings are mostly of the Buy It Now option with few bidding type auctions going on from what i can tell. I dont buy as much here as i like too because the lots usually are limited or by the time i see the offerings they are already gone. Thats life as i see it.

I commend you for not wanting to step on anyones toes or hurt their feelings but again its an auction so i dont see any problem with bidding too if its something you want. But this is just my 2 cents tossed into the hat.

I been going to LIVE auctions and on E bay for years !! There is 1 RULE at auctions YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS at auctions [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Daniel

I know of at least one instance that I was bid against anouther I.A.P. member. I didn't know it until after the auction. as far as I know there where no hard feelings. just somebody had to pay more than they should have.
the note above about knowing what your are willing to pay is a good one. it is way to easy to get caught up in trying to win and forget what the product is really worth. I dicide what my top bid will be and that is that. if someone out bids me then they wanted it more than I did. good for the seller.

myname1960

Originally posted by Pipes
<br />
I been going to LIVE auctions and on E bay for years !! There is 1 RULE at auctions YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS at auctions [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

And when the auction gloves come off the friendship should start again [B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom